XP / HRD Locks Up. Keys Radio

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Deluxe - HRD' started by KF5FEI, May 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-BCInc
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-3
  1. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

I usually leave my PC and radio running on 20m PSK31 watering hole to log stuff to PSK reporter. The other day the PC / Windows / HRD (not sure which) locked up and I found the radio keyed. Windows was completely unresponsive and the only solution was the power switch.

This is on an older Dell laptop running XP with all the latest patches, and the latest version of HRD v5 driving a RigBlaster PnP and controlling the radio through a USB-to-serial adapter and serial cable.

Typically I'm only running HRD, the logbook and DM-780, but recently I installed a sound card tool that lets you set the levels for each piece of software so you don't have to change your sound settings when switching from HRD to DigiPan, JT-65HF, etc...

Being an older PC, I have sometimes seen it bog down a bit, but never completely lock up and key the radio. Needless to say this was a bit embarrassing, but since there was no audio, there was very little RF as well. Fortunately it doesn't appear to have hurt the radio and hopefully it didn't cause any problems for other operators.

Has anyone run across this? I'm not sure if It was a bug with the software, Windows went to lala land, or the the interface had an issue. IIRC, I'm doing the keying through the RigBlaster, but I'll have to recheck the settings to verify. In the mean time it looks like I'll keep the radio off when I'm not in the shack.

2. KB1NXE

KB1NXE Ham Member QRZ Page

Did any automatic updates post recently? Coulda been Windows or anti-anything software. I've seen more than should be, where Windows gets unstable after an Auto Update. Even had issue with Firefox auto updates. If you want to find out, take a look at your event logs. You can back them out with the Windows Save and Restore Points.

Just remember, with Windows, its not a bug. Its a feature....

3. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm running XP on this box as well, and I don't recall seeing any updates on this box other than Flash or Java (IIRC) and those usually aren't automatic. Since the PC had been running a week or so with HRD open, and has pretty limited memory and virtual memory space, I'm guessing maybe a memory leak brought things to a halt.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.