XP Home - dropping connection

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by KC7FYD, Nov 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. KC7FYD

KC7FYD Ham Member QRZ Page

I have WinXP on two computers and both of them seem to drop the link to the server.  It is set up to redial within three seconds but it is frustrating to continually see the message "link to ___server has been lost.

I have it set to disable callwaiting.  How can I correct this problem.

2. W8GTF

W8GTF Ham Member QRZ Page

It sounds like a similar issue in another post. Are the computers sitting idle (nobody actively doing anything with them)?

It sounds like the 20 minute idle disconnection. Here's some information that may help.

Typically the DUN (Dial Up Networking) has a timeout set to 20 minutes. After being idle for 20 minutes, the computer will disconnect. This can be disabled by going into control panel clicking on your modem settings. Uncheck the box for disconnect after 20 minutes.

Here are some links that give step by step instructions:
    http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000371.htm
    http://www.tech-recipes.com/windows_tips374.html

3. K5GHS

K5GHS Ham Member QRZ Page

Could also be the ISP dropping you on their end if they detect no traffic.

They make "keep alive" scripts that will prevent that.

4. KC2HJN

KC2HJN Ham Member QRZ Page

W8GTF & KD6NIG both have good advice. Check those first.
    Though, if you're seeing the disconnect message I assume you're sitting there using it and it's not just sitting idle. Maybe the time got set to too low of a number. Check your modem configuration. Make sure error correction is on. You can usually find init strings (looks something like this : AT&F1&B1&D2&H1&I0&K1&M4S7=60) and what the settings mean on the internet for your particular modem type. Sometimes the default isn't the best and a custom one works better.

Is this something that just started recently or has it been going on since you set it up?

If that isn't the problem it's possible it's just a bad phone line. I don't have dial-up anymore but I had a similar problem a long time ago. No matter how I configured it I would continuously get disconnected. It took a few calls and 3 visits from the phone company to resolve the problem.

It wound up being 2 problems.

First problem was a bad underground cable about 3 blocks from my house. They replaced it. If you recently had any bad storms it could be a possibility.

Second problem was that in my area the population density had grown so much that the phone company ran out of free connections at many of the junction boxes. The tech told me that what they began doing was sharing a single connection between 2 or more people. I don't know much about the phone system but it seemed that they would share one of the two wires going to your phone (a ground I suppose) to save space in the box. I made them set me up on my own connection and run a new cable to my house. I was good after that. I still got a random disconnect here and there but it was much much better.

5. W8GTF

W8GTF Ham Member QRZ Page

There's no need to go searching for a keep alive script, I'll give you a quick, dirty little one that will do the job all day long.

Copy the following text into a new text file on your end and save it as "alive.bat" (or whatever you want as long as it has the .bat extension).

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">
    @echo off
    :start
    ping -n 1 www.google.com
    ping -n 61 127.0.0.1
    ping -n 1 www.yahoo.com
    ping -n 61 127.0.0.1
    GOTO start
    [/QUOTE]

Just run the file from say your desktop when you are not going to be actively using your computer and you are good. Close the window or use the &quot;Control&quot; + &quot;C&quot; to close it when you are done (leave the file running while you want disconnection protection).

This file is really simple, it pings google's website, waits aprox 60 seconds, ping yahoo's, wait's aprox 60 seconds, and then starts over. The 60 second wait is pinging your computer 61 times.

You can increase the wait between actions by changing the &quot;61&quot; to a greater number. You can also add more servers by repeating the code, the next line would go above the &quot;GOTO&quot; statement. You add another website to ping (make sure they accept ping's), and then a timer statment.

This should not be any real extra load on your connection or bandwidth, as it pings one external website every minute and as stated above you can increase the timers if you like.

Some ISP's may consider keep alive scripts against their user agreement. But you can probably sneak this one under the radar due to the timing, or increase the timing/number of different servers it pings to mask it even more

6. N9LCD

N9LCD Ham Member QRZ Page

I had the same problem with the dial-up connection on my Panasonic CF-48 Toughbook while trying to download a a 24.4+- NB Microsoft update, Every 20 minutes that &quot;Automatic Disconnect&quot; notice would come up

I checked the &quot;no activity&quot; disconnect under &quot;modem properties&quot; and it wasn't activated. I compared the Toughbook (XP Professional) settings with those in my HP Pavillion desktop (XP Home). No differences.

Today I tried the same downloads on the HP. I started two smaller downloads from MS, about 1 MB each, and walked away from the computer for about 2 Hrs 30 Min. The HP DID NOT AUTOMATICALLY disconnect even though it was inactive or maybe 2 hours.

I then ran the 24+ MB download that caused the problems yesterdayIt RAN STRAIGHT THROUGH, NO DISCONNECTS,
    in about 1 Hr 25 Min.

From today's experiment/experience, I'm thinking that yesterday's disconnects were not the work of Earthlink, my ISP, nor were they caused by the nature of the download. Also the time interval between the &quot;notices&quot; popping was too regular, 20 minutes, to be caused by phone line/connection problems.

I suspect yesterday's disconnects were caused, in whole or in part, by the high volume of internet traffic yesterday. I noticed that my connection speed was down to about 45 KB from a normal 50+ KB.

Any other theories?

JERRY

N9LCD

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.