xlr to tra cable for eq unit ?

Discussion in 'Microphones, Speakers & Audio Processing' started by GM1ZVJ, Jan 15, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. GM1ZVJ

GM1ZVJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Setting up a little 8 band eq / noise gate unit ( ur6qw ) along with a behringer xm8500 mic to my Icom IC7300 radio. Need to buy a 3 pin female xlr cable to go from the xm8500 mic to the 3.5mm trs type input off the eq / noise gate. Question is are most off these cable types the same ie. paying big money for one is not necessary going to gain you any extra performance / less overall noise etc over a cheap one ?

Anyone else here running such a set up off the 7300 / ur6qw and xm8500 mic ? Be great to hear off some off your radio / eq settings for both ragchew / dx type audio ? Already found some excellent info via the ad5gg website.
    Thanks.
    John

2. W4EAE

W4EAE Subscriber QRZ Page

You do have to be careful with the cable you buy, not for quality but for wiring. Anything shorter than 50ft shouldn't give you a problem unless you have tonnes of RF in your shack.

Looking at the specs for the UR6QW, it appears that the 3.5mm mic input is TS, not TRS. If it is in fact TS, then the cable should be wired hot to tip, ground to sleeve, cold to nothing. Buy a cable that has a wiring diagram on the label, and you shouldn't have any problems.

3. GM1ZVJ

IMG_1847.PNG Okay thanks so much for your kind reply to my question. Okay sorry my mistake was under the impression the ur6qw unit used a TRS type input socket as shown by the set up diagram on AD5GG ' s website page. Will have to double check before ordering so thanks for pointing that out.

4. GM1ZVJ

Okay had a look at the online manual for the ur6qw eq / noise gate and it shows the following for the input jack for the xlr cable from the microphone . Is this the TR type ?

Attached Files:

5. W4EAE

W4EAE Subscriber QRZ Page

Good find. What is pictured there is a TRS cable; but it is not for a balanced line. The 'NC' indicates 'normally closed,' meaning that voltage on this connector would activate a switch. The 'NC' is for PTT. This makes sense since there appears to be no other option for PTT from looking at the picture of the setup with the IC-7300.

The curious thing about these two images is that they appear to conflict with one another. I would contact UR6QW for more information on exactly how the connections are to be made.

6. GM1ZVJ

IMG_1867.PNG Okay thanks again so much for your kind assistance. Did actually email ur6qw himself asking but was simply advised to " check the supplied manual " ! The ptt Jack for a footswitch etc is taken care off by the rear socket as shown in pic attatched.

Have ordered an 3 pin female xlr to trs cable so hopefully that will work okay !