Xiegu XPA125 HF amp

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by KU3X, Dec 28, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KU3X

KU3X Ham Member QRZ Page

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Xiegu-XPA1...401361&hash=item2a9451ff51:g:fwwAAOSwUn9Z~b9D

At first I thought this amp had promise. It's half the price of the Elecraft KPA100. Not a bad deal for a 125 watt amp for QRP radios and the tuner is included.

And then I read the specs. The harmonic suppression is only 39 db down. Sorry, for USA it MUST be down 43 db.

So if you are looking for an amp for your QRP radio, this is not the way to go.

I am not try to pick on manufactures, I am just try to keep the bands clean.

Barry

NB3R likes this.
  2. KS2G

KS2G Subscriber QRZ Page

Isn't there a requirement for FCC Certification for amplifiers sold in the USA?

3. KU3X

KU3X Ham Member QRZ Page

Go to Ebay and you can buy an amplifier, from China, with NO band pass filters and they generate harmonics all over the place.
    That shows you how strongly that rule is inforced.
    QST posted an article showing how the Baofeng UV-5RE does not meet FCC specs. I have a spectrum analyzer and tested one for myself.
    No Way does it meet FCC specs. I now ONLY use it for receiving ! You can buy them on Amazon. Rule enforcements? Seems to be a joke in these days.
    Barry

4. KC1AIH

KC1AIH Ham Member QRZ Page

Does anyone know where the delay adjustment, if there is any, is? When using on SSB, all bands, two different radios, the normal space between spoken words allows the amp to drop off. I have been told, it sounds horrid on receive. Increasing the delay would do the trick. I can't seem to find a service manual for the xpa 125. Perhaps that may have an answer. KC1AIH Miriam.