XIEGU XG-90

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by N8AFT, Mar 17, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. N8AFT

N8AFT Ham Member QRZ Page

Looks like most folks are very happy with their XG-90's.
    As an owner of this rig, what can you share about using yours in CW mode?

2. KB4MNG

KB4MNG Ham Member QRZ Page

I about bought one but decided to invest money into something more substantial. The general consensus is that they are good radios but there are enough flaws that I don't want to invest that $$$ into it. I got really burned on a similar Chinese wonder box that was just out of warranty.

3. N8AFT

N8AFT Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Brian; Well, mine came in Thursday's mail. It's a nice compact rig and does everyting quite well.
    If there is anything I can be critical about or take any exception to would be the rathetr harsh (to me) audio.
    Then again I think the DSP derived audio of my FT-450 is a chore to endure as well.
    Since I am not one to plug in a mic I have no idea how the rig sounds with voices yet.

4. KI2H

KI2H Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I've made numerous SSB QSOs on my G-90. It is extremely functional and gets the job done. the small buttons and screen take a little getting used to. The filtering capabilities are decent.

I have a paddle keyer plugged into mine. No issues.

5. WB8WTU

WB8WTU Ham Member QRZ Page

The relationship between AGC and RF Gain is a little different than most rigs. Reducing the RF Gain with the AGC still on doesn't seem to do a lot. However, turning off the AGC and then reducing RF Gain has a much more noticeable effect. That reduces the band noise on 80 and 40 meters and "quiets" the receiver while still maintaining sensitivity. Audio is much less harsh. It has an impressive feature set for the money (when on sale). Radioddity supports a year warrant, same as many other radios, and doesn't nickle and dime you for "essential" options. Firmware update instructions could use a re-write for sure. A fine CW radio that works very well. Twenty (20) watts max output is not a handicap, even with current conditions.

6. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I have one also, and using home station antennas I use the ATTenuator all the time on 20m and lower frequency bands. It's sensitive enough that with the attenuator it still hears everything that can be heard, and this allows the spectrum scope to not overload and kind of flatline up against the top of the scale. Very weak signals in the -120 dBm range still are perfectly readable this way, and the AGC seems to work fine.

With the RX running at full gain, somebody burping in Maine runs the spectrum blip off the top of the screen.:p

I imagine with small, compromised antennas this may not be an issue; I do intend to use the rig for SOTA operations this summer, with small antennas so all that RX gain might come in handy then.