ad: HamHats-1

Xiegu X5105 for extended off grid field work

Discussion in 'Videos and Podcasts' started by OH8STN, Aug 1, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. OH8STN

OH8STN Ham Member QRZ Page

IMG_20200801_225126_245.jpg

W4KYR, WS9K, VE3GCX and 2 others like this.
  2. KC2BNW

KC2BNW Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey nice video and great info on the xiegu x5105. I filmed a recent youtube video on my kit too. Enjoying this radio despite some software quarks. I use an older pf-300 -15 5 watt solar panel into an energizer xpal 8000 lil polymer battery. The pack i use for storage and you might like it for the xiegu too, is the maxpedition neatfreak. I put some foam inserts to protect the unit and it fits perfect in the case
    I'll find some pictures later for you.

OH8STN likes this.
  3. KL7KN

KL7KN Ham Member QRZ Page

Nicely done video worth the time to watch as the OP points out several power features often skipped in other reviews of the radio.

He also makes a very good point on the low profile encoder, the reason most KX series users buy the aftermarket end plates and cover - I know I did,

I doubt I'll buy one of these - the ergos just don't strike me as Trail Friendly. The KX2 has all controls and interfaces on the sides, with the exception of the key port - something I don't use as I have a different set of paddles.

The OP has done a very good job of laying out much about the radio not seen elsewhere. I appreciate that effort.& thus, the Like.

OH8STN likes this.
  4. OH8STN

Thanks.
    Yes the firmware was rough to begin with, but they have done a solid job of getting it sorted. I cant imagine ever taking the 81x out again unless I am doing sat work or weak signal on 144. Its great having options.
    My fav- feature is the built-in charger. I use that with either my PF F16-1200 or <PF Lightsaver Max directly to the radio.
    Julian oh8stn

KC2BNW likes this.
  5. OH8STN

Thank you Don. If nothing else, I hope other manufacturers will consider adding whats good about this radio, to their own dev roadmaps.
    Julian oh8stn

6. KC2BNW

KC2BNW Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes julian i have the 817 and its a great radio but i now use the xiegu for hf and carry a vx7r and ft1dr for the aprs. Here is the inside of my radio bag for xiegu.

Attached Files:

OH8STN likes this.
  7. OH8STN

Absolutely brilliant

KC2BNW likes this.
  8. WS9K

WS9K Ham Member QRZ Page

I really like your youtube channel

I've been playing HF and HF mobile since 1993, but new to QRP portable.

Your info is solid, top notch, really interesting, and entertaining.

CHEERS and ROCK & ROLL !

Derek

OH8STN likes this.
  9. OH8STN

Too kind
    Julian oh8stn