Xiegu X5105 for $69.99 USD? Don't fall for it

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KC8UD, May 23, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KC8UD

KC8UD Ham Member QRZ Page

Finding this deal on the web made me very curious. If it turned out to be an error and I were to be contacted by the merchant to inform me of the pricing error then I would just cancel the order. If the radio arrived after having paid $69.99 then I would be happy. BUT...The day after placing my risky order a fraud alert was posted to the web so now I am in dispute proceedings through PayPal to get the credit card charges reversed. We'll see what happens.

Turns out that the merchant is a scam. The web site appears to be based in Arizona in the United States but the product is shipped from China. The scam alert suggests that this merchant and several others like them are scammers and put out fake web pages that lure people to purchase things at terrific prices. Either garbage is shipped or nothing is shipped at all.

Take a look at the web site of the merchant and then the scam alert. Be warned and be smart.
    https://www.kmkai.com/-iegu--5105-o...-covering-ssb-cw-am-fm-rtty-psk-black-o10ek62

https://wisdomganga.com/what-is-kmkai-is-kmkai-scam-is-kmkai-legit-kmkai-review/

Gary

2. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber QRZ Page

I think a good tip-off is that elsewhere in the website, they're selling flimsy beach towels for $35 each. If that isn't enough to cause you to think twice...

KI5WW, K9ASE and KY5U like this.
  3. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Interesting.

I wonder if Sandra knows "they" (someone) are using her name associated with this? There really is a Sandra Zupetz and she is principal of a school there: http://www.pensaracademy.org/who-we-are/our-staff/

Looking up the address given on the website, it's just someone's house.

VK4HAT likes this.
  4. K7MH

K7MH Ham Member QRZ Page

$600 from MFJ. Similar results on Amazon. Sounds more like it!
    MFJ claims to be the only NA authorized distributor and service center.

KI5WW likes this.
  5. KT1F

KT1F Ham Member QRZ Page

If you're assuming that from the domain's whois record, that's just where GoDaddy is.

6. WB2WIK

No, they have an address listed on their website; not based on Whois.

They also have a name listed with that address, and with a tiny bit of research I found there really is such a person there. She may not be aware they're using her name.

7. KC8UD

KC8UD Ham Member QRZ Page

I noticed the person's name and address as well and looked it up. I'm almost tempted to call her, I've got her number. I also noticed multiple police records for her and for some of her relatives. But...what are you going to believe? I don't want to shame or judge anyone falsely. The price listed for the radio seemed too good to be true and now knowing that the company is associated with scam operations I feel more cautious and a little gullible for even trying to order in the first place. Although I knew I was taking a chance.

8. WB2WIK

Wow, I'm surprised to hear that about the lady whose name is listed.

Since we both looked her up, I found she's a teacher with a Masters Degree working in Phoenix. I tried searching her name for a ham license, and nada.

I have no clue why anyone who isn't a ham would be selling imported ham gear here. Something's a bit nutty about all this. Might be worth pursuing if I had time to kill...which I don't.

9. KT1F

KT1F Ham Member QRZ Page

The school she works at is registered at the same address.

https://www.ade.az.gov/edd/NewDetails.asp?EntityID=92972&RefTypeID=1999&SchoolType=CS

I sent her an email to the address listed there saying that some scammer is using her name and address.. I said that I doubted that it was really her and she should probably report this somewhere.

There is no way in the world that she is running this store as a side job. I'll be totally blown away if I'm wrong on that and she replies that the store is real and they have some great deals.

Last edited: May 24, 2019
  10. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

The price is $699.90 :rolleyes: