ad: wmr-1

Xiegu X108G Portable 20 Watt HF Transceiver Review On-Air Test

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KJ4YZI, Aug 6, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. W0AAT

W0AAT Ham Member QRZ Page

KK5R likes this.
  2. NA5A

NA5A Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow, Connect Systems is now down to $399 for the radio. That is very inviting.

Currently I'm finishing up the build on a mcHF SDR kit. It's costing me a lot more than $400 to build but it's quite an impressive radio and gets better all the time.
    www.m0nka.co.uk

3. KF4BY

KF4BY Ham Member QRZ Page

No Joy! I prefer to buy American and keep ourselves employed!

WB5THT, WA2LXB and OH2FFY like this.
  4. N8DAH

N8DAH XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Really name one currently active US based ham radio manufacture that's not Flex... I would love to know. Icom, Yeasu and Kenwood are all made over sea's too while your all high and mighty.

KK5R likes this.
  5. W5TXR

W5TXR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Ill keep my Yaesu's! I'm not a fan of Beofengs and all of the other cheap Chinese copy cat junk that has invaded our market. I just don't think it's economically a good thing to flood the market w/ cheap Chinese crap. This takes away from Yaesu, Icom, Kenwood, Alinco and Elecraft's R&D effort.
    I want to see new stuff from the big 5 as often as possible.
    I understand the allure with the low price I also know that most hams are inherently cheap but I'm going to buy from american dealers and reputable companies,es, I will spend more on the Yaesu, because the spent the $$ designing it AND backing it if it breaks or need quality accessories. Ham radio is one of my expensive hobbies, (although flying is at the top) It's an important hobby for many folks, why cheap-out on something that could save lives?
    Dad always told me "You get what you pay for"

If someone offers you "a penny for your thoughts" and you "give your 2 cents worth", where did the other penny go?
    "Why do we park in a driveway and drive on a parkway?"

"What's in your hamshack?"
    De , W5TXR Mark

Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
    N9FM and OH2FFY like this.
  6. W5TXR

W5TXR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The big five are established Pro-American amateur radio companies, Xinghe, and zxebra and all of the others are just copycatters.
    Yaesu Icom, Kenwood, Alinco and Elecraft have real R&D engineers , the chinese companies reverse engineer our stuff and sell it for a fraction.
    I know this to be factual. There are several copycat look-a-likes example, the FT-8800, the FT-2900 .
    I mean lets face it, China's economy has exploded ofver the last 10 years, it's not because of China, It's because of reverse engineering our stuff!
    I don't like it, they have been in the technology theft business since before Clinton!
    look: https://www.alibaba.com/countrysearch/CN/2-meter-radio.html

"What's in your hamshack?"
    De , W5TXR Mark

WB5THT and OH2FFY like this.
  7. WP2ASS

WP2ASS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Seeing as how connect systems has, in their web page, they are selling xeigu equip at cost, there will be no support, and they are discontinuing carrying xeigu due to them being, basically, crap...... Why would you spend as much as a used ft857?

I mean, if you want 20 watts out, do the brown wire mod.

And you have 100 Watt capabilities. As well as v/uhf.

Never understood the want for the chicom garbage.

--Shane
    KD6VXI

8. KB2SMS

KB2SMS Ham Member QRZ Page

Elecraft.

WB5THT and WA9UAA like this.
  9. AH7I

AH7I Ham Member QRZ Page

What/who's radio have 'they' copied with this 108? One of your design?

Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
    K7LZR and KK5R like this.
  10. WZ9O

WZ9O Ham Member QRZ Page

I think I found a new rig for camping and my BoB.

11. K0PG

K0PG Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice. Too bad it doesn't cover 6.

KK5R likes this.
  12. N5SMO

N5SMO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Connect systems had issues with the prototype models. To my knowledge, those issues were resolved, and they are indeed now selling and supporting these radios. The details of the prototype issues were on their FB page a couple of months back, right before Dayton Hamfest date.

KK5R likes this.
  13. KY5U

KY5U Ham Member QRZ Page

The AGC is probably set to slow (AGC-S) on your display. I don't have one and the manual does not cover changing this to fast AGC (AGC-F I guess). But this is your problem I am sure. Perhaps playing with it you can find the setting.

KK5R likes this.
  14. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

If you guys want a laugh, and play guitar, check out a google search on "Chibson guitar:.....

15. KK5R

KK5R Ham Member QRZ Page