Xiegu G90 Semi-Take Apart and PowerPole Mod Question

Discussion in 'Software Defined Radio (SDR)' started by AC1KC, May 7, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. AC1KC

AC1KC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hello, new to ham and hoping to get my general ticket very soon. I just received my Xiegu G90 purchased through the swap pages here and thought I'd share my exploratory take apart as I search for options to replace the odd propriety power connector with powerpoles. Benefits: use of thicker gauged wire both internally and to the radio, and a more common connector type. The wire supplied, used between the fan stand and the radio and internally appear to be maybe 16AWG - this is a 20 watt radio, rated to 8A max, so I suppose it should be fine, however a few reviews seem to mention voltage drop due to wire sizing. If this seems unnecessary, please let me know!

I plan to get nearly an identical bracket Xiegu used for the powerpole connectors, and expand the "DC-IN" area to accommodate this. There is enough room internally (I wish Xiegu did this from the start).

Does anyone know where I could find a bracket (pictured below) like the one Xiegu used to connect their powerpoles to the G90 fan stand without fabricating it?
    IMG_3896.JPEG IMG_3897.JPEG IMG_3899.JPEG IMG_3900.JPEG IMG_3902.JPEG IMG_3903.JPEG

2. W9WQA

W9WQA Ham Member QRZ Page

stock wire drops appx 1 volt but not enough power to bother with changing, ITS A QRP RIG !!

N5YSW and AC1KC like this.
  3. KB1YFD

KB1YFD Ham Member QRZ Page

AC1KC likes this.
  4. N7EKU

N7EKU Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi,

To drop 1V on 16AWG wire with 8 amps it would take:

E = I x R
    R = E / I
    R = 1V/8A = 1/8 ohm
    16AWG resistance = 4 ohms / 1000' or 250 ft/ohm

So it would take 0.125 ohm x 250 ft/ohm = 31' 3" of wire to do that. I don't think the few inches of internal wire is enough to worry about. Externally if the power cable is 16 AWG and really long, you could slice it into a heavier cable to make the drop lower.

But 8A probably won't be drawn all that often (SSB is much lower power on average than 20W, CW is also intermitant, digital, it depends on what the radio can do as many recommend dropping power for digital use so the heatsinks don't get too hot.

The connector is a mini Tamiya, used a lot in RC models so not all that odd or uncommon. Especially you would find them on decent sized battery packs.

AC1KC likes this.