ad: cq2k-1

Xiegu G90 sdr transceiver unboxing! From ham radio outlet. Check it out!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KG7HVR, Jun 27, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KQ9J

KQ9J Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Two completely different things. :)

WD4IGX likes this.
  2. AA7BQ

AA7BQ QRZ Founder QRZ HQ Staff QRZ Page

The phrase in question was an expletive. There is a clear distinction between explicit utterances and the examples given above, as morally repugnant speech can certainly be conducted without the use of any profanity.

When I said that “it wasn’t a thing”, I was speaking of profanity, not hate speech. When I stub my toe on the kitchen table, I utter an expletive. I’m not denigrating the table, it’s makers, it’s country of origin or the sexual identity of the tree that gave its poor life to my dinner table.

WD4IGX likes this.
  3. KR3DX

KR3DX Ham Member QRZ Page

No, they are exactly the same because they are both OFFENSIVE to someone, and they both indicate that the speaker is an ignorant, classless individual who has no self-respect for himself, and no respect for the feelings or morals of others.

W4KVW likes this.
  4. KR3DX

"A rose by any other name". One is an "expletive", the other is "hate speech". "Expletives" are "morally repugnant" to some people. "Hate speech" is not "morally repugnant" to some people. Some people believe that it is perfectly OK to use "hate speech", just like some people believe that it is OK to use "expletives". The use of "profanity" or "vulgarity" shows a disregard for other people, exactly the same way that "hate speech" shows a disregard for other people. The users of "profanity" and "hate speech" feel that they have the right to "free speech". They are one and the same, there is no difference.

W4KVW likes this.
  5. KD2TTM

KD2TTM Ham Member QRZ Page

You do realize you're arguing with the administrator/founder of QRZ, right? :rolleyes:

6. KQ9J

KQ9J Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Horse apples. One is common speech not directed at anyone and the other things you cited are harmful and hurtful to specific individuals or groups of individuals. Reminds me of a bar I used to go to when I was young.

The owner had an absolute fit if anyone dropped an f-bomb but laughed right along at jokes about blacks, Native Americans, LGBTQ individuals, and probably others. But his self righteous banning of the dreaded F-word undoubtedly made him feel morally superior.

My wife dropped a rare F-bomb just this morning. (She wasn't mad at me....at somebody else LOL) so I guess this classy, professional lady is the scum of the earth according to some twisted version of morality. However she would never engage in racist or bigoted speech because she IS a classy person and has her moral priorities straight. People need to start condemning and calling out others who DO the truly obscene things like denigrate people of color, different sexual identities, ethnic groups and so on. If they did so, the world would be a better place.

There is a BIG difference between an expletive and hate speech against other people. To say the two are equivalent shows utter disregard for the people who have suffered discrimination for so long. It's not the words -though they are hurtful indeed- it's what that speech represents.

I think Fred has been mighty kind to even let his decision be dissected and I am not going to say anything more. 73!

N7BWB and WD4IGX like this.
  7. KR3DX

Yes, I realize who he is, should that make a difference? I call it "discussing", not "arguing".

W4KVW and KD2TTM like this.
  8. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

It's just semantics. The decision has been made

Please no further comments regarding the language in the video.

Thanks

Dave
    W7UUU

9. N2QGV

N2QGV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Poking around and found this rig will draw about 750 mA on standby receive. Wondering about battery life and what people are using? Checked KX2 and it draws 135 mA on standby receive and the IC-705 pulls 320 mA with a 12v supply.

10. KD2TTM

I'm using a Bioenno 12V 9ah LiFePO4 which I've never drained (haven't used it much yet) but have run for hours. With that battery hooked up to my 28W solar panel and charge controller I think I could run as long as I could want to on a sunny day or weekend.

W9HJ likes this.
  11. KD2TTM

I ran that set-up for at least three hours yesterday at what I would guess is my typical duty cycle and with the 28W solar panel in full sun. The battery stayed fully charged.

12. G4OBB

G4OBB Ham Member QRZ Page

are we not going off topic? I thought this was about Gals!

13. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Ham Member QRZ Page

If only it had 6m.

2m/440 would be nice but if it had six as well I'd buy one. As it is I'm kind of on the fence. I'm tempted to wait (and I suffer "paralysis by analysis" easily and "when in doubt, wait" is my default anyway) for the IC-705 albeit at over twice the cost and half the power. Still 10W is a useful boost over my 5W FT-817nd. The second jump to 20W comes at a bigger power drain, obviously.

14. WD4IGX

Oops, deleted - saw the thing about no more...

Last edited: Jul 15, 2020
  15. WD4IGX

Oops, deleted ;)

Last edited: Jul 15, 2020
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.