ad: Halibut-1

Xiegu G90 In depth Walkthrough

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by OH8STN, Feb 29, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. OH8STN

OH8STN Ham Member QRZ Page

Perhaps it's your business, but it's definitely not mine. My channel is not a business. It's a way of giving back to a community which has supported me for half a lifetime. I understand you won't get that. I'm not motivated by money, I'm motivated by service.

VA7UO, KN4EQG, KE8FWJ and 4 others like this.
  2. OH8STN

Yes Sir, Absolutely. I thought I posted a picture. I'm sitting here operating FT8 right now

KC1OCA, KK5R and W1YW like this.
  3. KY5U

KY5U Ham Member QRZ Page

I have always loved the "discerning ham" who pays $500 for a Chinese rig and wants $10k performance. And the IC705 better be a better rig for triple the price.

KN4EQG, KK5R, N4ARV and 3 others like this.
  4. OH8STN

Fair enough!

5. KY5U

KY5U Ham Member QRZ Page

FYI I bought a little G1M and it's a cute little radio for the price of a CB.

KK5R and OH8STN like this.
  6. K9UR

K9UR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I can appreciate and respect that. Many ham radio and equipment reviews on youtube (and in the ham magazines), unfortunately, are otherwise... They used to call it Payola in the radio days... same thing now on youtube.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2020
    KR3DX likes this.
  7. K9UR

K9UR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

This is true, one can also create a simple interface cable using the 8 pin mini DIN> THe CE19 does offer some physical isolation of the ptt line (opto isolator). But reading the manual, in two places they describe the acc socket as a 6 pin DIN. Hmmm..... The only problem is that it is 8 pin... and the manual is so poorly written and illustrations are so bad that you have to decipher it and compare it to what you have in hand. I'll post a pic of the "user manual" that I received with my G90.... It's a joke. No schematic no technical detail. Pathetic documentation.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 1, 2020
    KR3DX likes this.
  8. ZS6ANT

ZS6ANT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Julian thank you for providing a detailed look at the capabilities of the G90, i am sure when the faults and field failures happen you will update the channel.
    I had my first look at one just yesterday, for the price it is built quite solid albeit for the knobs which higher end rigs have the same feel.
    As it stands i would be quite comfortable to toss one of these into my bag for a quick outing and not worry about getting it dirty etc..
    Keep up the good videos

KK5R likes this.
  9. KB9OAK

KB9OAK Ham Member QRZ Page

A brief pause in the crap flinging whilst I thank Julian for another informative review. You may now return to your regularly scheduled poop launching competition.

W7MDC, KD0WGB and N7BWB like this.
  10. N7BWB

N7BWB Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the review, Julian. I've been eyeing this one for awhile and your review is most welcome.

KC1OCA, W8BFX, K7LZR and 4 others like this.
  11. KR3DX

KR3DX Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't believe that "You get what you pay for". I believe that you NEVER get more than you pay for, but you can get a LOT less than you pay for. From what I've seen, I wouldn't pay more than $50 for this "radio", or any other similar cheesy Chinese knock-off product. Just my opinion.......

WQ4G, KA2FIR and KY5U like this.
  12. KB9OAK

So if Yaesu makes a radio in Taiwan Republic of China it's ok, but if random Chinese Ham radio company makes a radio in mainland China it's automatically bad. Got it.

KN4EQG, K7LZR and KK5R like this.
  13. KB9OAK

What if the same radio, same quality was made in Estonia? Still bad?

AH7I, KN4EQG, K7LZR and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.