ad: w5yi

Xiegu G90 20 watt rig

Discussion in 'Amplitude Modulation' started by N2DTS, Nov 19, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. N2DTS

N2DTS Ham Member QRZ Page

So true.
    I really like the R928 plus even if it is poor on transmit.
    The RX is very good and its very easy to operate while having a LOT of stuff in the menu you CAN mess with if you want.
    Its cute!

2. K7JOE

K7JOE Ham Member QRZ Page

Bought the G90. Had it for less than 24 hours. Sent it back. Was a black friday $427 impulse buy. After playing with it for an hour or two, even hooking it up to a 300W solid state amp, I decided that one would be far better off spending a few hundred bucks more and getting a used IC-7300 which can be had for around $700 used. (or even an IC-7100, can be had for $600 used) which makes a nice small AM rig that works WAY better.... This radio, while cute, isn't cheap considering it's not got a 100W PA... It is not exactly small either. My opinion: This is more of an engineers experiment than a real radio in my opinion. 4 or 5 years from now, these might be contenders...but they're too rough now to be considered a serious radio for my use.

3. KM6KJI

KM6KJI Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree if you bought it for a base station.
    Which 100W radio is sold new for $400+? Also, running 100W portable will add more cost for a larger and heavier battery.
    I agree that the G90 is still experimental and yet to mature - with frequent software update, if not hardware - but I'm just curious, what is a real or serious radio in your (or any ham's) definition?

Last edited: Dec 27, 2019
  4. N2DTS

N2DTS Ham Member QRZ Page

I like trying new stuff, but the G90 was no fun.
    Maybe a hard core portable guy might find it useful but even so, the Elecraft stuff is so much better.
    AM on the G90 was all hosed up, RX was about 20 KHz wide (only) and TX was nasty, no positive modulation.
    On CW and ssb it was ok but the screen and buttons are way too small.
    The only good things about the radio are the antenna tuner and the power output.
    If the radio cost $100.00 new it might be worth while in some respects...

The upcoming Icom 705 looks like it will be a lot of fun.
    Its a shame it does not have a tuner (for HF) built in.

5. K7JOE

K7JOE Ham Member QRZ Page

I would not purchase an alternative as new. At a used price point there are many excellent $400-$500 choices. The G90 isn’t much smaller than the yaesu 897 for example. It lacks a tilt bale to see it. The vfo knob feels cheap. Buttons are poorly made.

I would opt for a Kenwood TS50, yaesu 857D, ft-891, or the icom 706 and variants - all are far superior performance wise to the G90. 100w isn’t a must have but a nice to have when needed. Can always run a 100w rig at lower power. The G90 internal tuner is nice but a simple manual tuner is small and more versatile matching wise. The G90 has a tiny screen that’s difficult to read. No RF gain control. Receiver Overload is an issue. The waterfall etc is so small it’s almost worthless. The agc attack time is not good for cw. The filters are ok. The buttons are hard to push.

6. K5UJ

K5UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

"base station" is a land-mobile term. A ham station that is not mobile is a fixed station.

7. K4KYV

K4KYV Subscriber QRZ Page

"Base station" came into ham radio jargon via CB. Just like you hear hams refer to their name as their "personal". A lot of CB lingo has crept into amateur radio.