WZ1M Transformer Rebuilds

Discussion in 'Amplitude Modulation' started by KA4KOE, Jun 15, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. KA4KOE

KA4KOE Ham Member QRZ Page

I emailed Gary WZ1M and forwarded the data to him about my mod iron in case it tests bad. The consensus is that the winding resistances are frequently not even (as The Don mentioned) and he even told me how to do a quick test, which I will perform shortly.

The porpoise of this post is that Gary is a REALLY nice guy to deal with. He called me on his dime and we had a good chat. The cost to rebuild my mod iron was ball-parked but reasonable. Gary is 70 years old and shows no signs of slowing down. He is planning a move to Flori-DUH in the near future.

Anyway, I just thought I'd pass this on.

Fleep

YF8RQN and AF6LJ like this.
  2. K4KYV

K4KYV Subscriber QRZ Page

Can you describe the quick test?

AF6LJ likes this.
  3. KA4KOE

KA4KOE Ham Member QRZ Page

Put about 50VAC (watch current and use a variac) across the primary. Measure the AC voltage across both sides of the mod secondary. If they differ by more than a couple of volts, there is a hi-z short somewhere.

AF6LJ likes this.
  4. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

You should also be able to "Ring" a transformer with a square wave on the input and look for asymmetry and distortion in the ringing on the windings.

AC0OB likes this.
  5. W7TFO

W7TFO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Gary declined rebuilding a big (100lb) Thordarson for me.

More DIY now I suppose.

73DG

AF6LJ likes this.
  6. WZ1M

WZ1M Ham Member QRZ Page

After the major heart attack, I was just taking it easy and no heavy stuff.
    Regards,
    TRS
    Gary

N6YW, AF6LJ and (deleted member) like this.
  7. WZ1M

WZ1M Ham Member QRZ Page

A ring test is not always very good. Some transformers show good signs of ringing and others are hard to decifier if the pattern is good or bad. I shy away from this type of test as there are many other tests that will do just fine.
    Regards,
    TRS
    Gary

KA2PTE and AF6LJ like this.
  8. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

This is good to know, thanks Gary.

9. W7TFO

W7TFO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't blame you, rest easy.

73DG

AF6LJ likes this.
  10. K5UJ

K5UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

The Eldico TR1 866A filament transformer buzzed like a door buzzer. Ken W0HRO suggested I bake it in my oven, 185 degrees for 4 hours. Worth a try. After an hour I ended the experiment because it was August and I had the A/C on since the oven heated up the house (if I ever run the oven it is only in winter normally) and after an hour the transformer stank up the place. That was when I learned iron baking is normally done outside.

I could have bought some junk toaster oven at a garage sale, and a pint of transformer resin (a.k.a. shellac, or varnish) for $85, and dipped and baked it myself but for $25 shipping included, Gary removed the end bells and did all that and a 4 KV hi-pot test. That transformer makes zero noise now.

AF6LJ likes this.