ad: Amateur-1

wya1

Discussion in 'Stolen Radios, Scams and Rip-Offs' started by N9ZDZ, May 29, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. N9ZDZ

N9ZDZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Was talking to a guy with a email of wy1adonald@gmail.com he offered me a ft2100b used for 150 shipped so I agreed to it and told him I could pay with PayPal and he said that would be ok but send it friends and family. Of course I didn't .But he said that PayPal would only allowed him to except friends and family. Witch we all know bull ***t . Any way just thought I would put this out there.

2. W2RDK

W2RDK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Had the same guy respond to my WTB for a Rohn tower section yesterday. Typical bad English and he wanted payment by Postal MO. Gave me a pic of some tower sections with a piece of paper on it with his call. Just finished posting a scam alert on QTH for this low life.

N9ZDZ likes this.
  3. WA4NJY

WA4NJY Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for your posts. If I had the time I would toy with him. Wrote a pretty good note to me.

Ed

4. N1FMV

N1FMV Ham Member QRZ Page

Whenever some joker gives me that "can only accept friends and family" BS I just reply that I refuse to violate PayPal's terms of service. That is always the last I hear from them, goodness.;

K6LPM likes this.
  5. K6LPM

K6LPM Ham Member QRZ Page

You're right about violating the Pay Pal terms, I never have thought of that,,,,,
    It seems everyone always seems like they are looking for a way to cut corners or work every angle to squeeze just a bit of a financial advantage over the big financial conglomerate.
    It is understandable that sometimes with fees and service charges it is hard to break even as a seller, or make online trade even worthwhile! Many times we forget that these companies are offering us a service and they dont do it for their health but are out to earn a market share and make a profit for their shareholder and investors, individuals that take stock in portfolios that are trying to earn or invest in a retirement or whatever,,,,, The entity is made of people trying to niche out an earning selling you a service too. Remember that there is no free ride.
    That said...
    Certainly we have all had some sort of PayPal/EBay or other type of online trade horror story, or if not yet, we all will eventually. Its easy to get into a mentality of having to work the system to somehow even the playing field. Basically cheat the system however you want to validate it or whatever ya want to call it. I would never say that I have ever been one to be above all that. I have exploited many a loophole, I am only human and just pointing out the objective basics!
    In the past I have participated in trades where the selling party wished for friends or family type of payment. I have always assumed it was to avoid the payment of a percentage of the monies received as a form of service charge.
    When I have been faced with this stipulation as to one of the sellers terms of sale. If the deal was a real good value that I didnt wish to lose or give up too easily, I have always offered to pay the added charges to proceed with the transaction to be reported as a standard itemized sale as normally one would expect to fully protect the buyers interest.
    I have had a few decline for whatever reason, but others that were receptive and understood that it was a two way street that serves to protect us both.
    Any sellers that act insulted or are too inflexible or have any type of attitude are usually of the personality types that I wish not to be trading with in the first place no matter how hot a commodity they think they have. For me trading is part of the hobby and not a career or a business. This is something that should be fun and not something to stress out over. Internet trading is like a form of gambling to a certain extent depending on what you are trading. Never gamble with that you can not afford to spend on your hobby.:cool:
    I also would like to add that I am absolutely appalled by the amount of fraud and scamming that is occurring here within the Ham Radio community! This is an institution that I have always held above bar and always considered the true Gentlemen (and Proper Lady) community. Perhaps it is the high value equipment and the self governing tight close knit group of trusting loyal individuals that have made us attractive and to be targeted as suckers and marks for the unsavory to take advantage?

Last edited: Jun 23, 2016
  6. WC3T

WC3T Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I believe that this nails it. High value equipment, bonds of trust and close knit loyalties (which is pronounced "SUCKER" to the scammer) and you have a recipe for disaster. Plus I'm sure we have some bad apples in our basket as well, sad to say.