ad: Mountaingoat-1

WX4NHC Hurricane Season 2004 On-The-Air Station Te

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WE4B, May 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WE4B

WE4B Guest

WX4NHC Hurricane Season 2004 On-The-Air Station Test
    The Amateur Radio Station at the National Hurricane Center

Sunday, May 30th, 2004 from 9am-6pm EST (1300z-2200z)

We will use our Callsign WX4NHC.

The purpose of this annual Station Test is to test all of our radio equipment, computers and antennas using as many modes and frequencies as possible.
    RFI monitoring is also done to NOAA & NHC equipment.
    We will also be testing some new antennas and equipment that are being installed for this coming season. A few new operators will receive hands-on training.

Remember this is just an equipment and operator test, we are not activating any "nets"

WX4NHC will be On-The-Air on HF, VHF, UHF and 2&30meter APRS We plan on using the following phone frequencies +/- QRM 7.268mhz, 14.325mhz, 21.325mhz, 28.525mhz. CW will be on 14.035, 21.035 and 28.035. PSK31 on 14.070.

Need to find us on HF, try using the DX Summit Web Site:
    http://oh2aq.kolumbus.com/dxs/ Select "DX-Spots" 50, 250 or 1,000 or select "Spot Database Search".
    We would also appreciate your posting in a DX Spot. Select under "DX-Spots" Heading - "Send Your Own"

We will be operating on IRLP Refelector 9210 and EchoLink node 8188, please contact the NHC Liaison station when called.
    In South Florida we will operate VHF & UHF Repeaters, 146.52 simplex & 144.200 ssb

Report your Callsign, Signal Report, Location and Short Weather Report ("Sunny", or "Rain", etc.)

Non-Hams are invited to submit their actual weather using the On-Line Hurricane Report Form at http://www.fiu.edu/orgs/w4ehw/WX-form1.html

Thank you for your participation in this TEST.

QSL Cards are available via W4VBQ. Please S.A.S.E.

Due to security measures,
    NO VISITORS will be allowed at National Hurricane Center during this test.

Please forward this announcement to appropriate recipients. 73,

John McHugh K4AG, Amateur Radio Coord. National Hurricane Center
    Julio Ripoll WD4R, Asst. Amateur Radio Coord. National Hurricane Center
    Robert Broderick WE4B, Amateur Radio VoIP Coord. National Hurricane Center

WX4NHC Home Page: http://www.wx4nhc.org

2. WA3VJB

WA3VJB Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

WX4NHC Great call sign !

Best wishes for a successful drill and for your effective communications service this hurricane season. I will be among the many taking part or at least monitoring in support...

Are you planning any testing during this event on the new 5mHz/60 meter band ?  The original proposal requesting authorization for this band included a reference to this band's regional propagation characteristics, and its potential use with hurricane-related communications.

Your posting reminded me of when I was at the old Coral Gables location of the National Hurricane Center providing live news coverage when Hurricane Andrew hit south Florida. We saw a 225 mph peak on the wind guage before it broke. Soon after, the rooftop dishes blew off and ended up in the hotel swimming pool next door. Wow.

WX4NHC is viewed by many of us as a "flagship station" of hurricane communications to provide information to hams when we step forward to help provide links for disaster workers, law enforcement, and relief groups. I realize you don't run a hurricane net and are a freestanding station, but please join me in some concerns I'd like to express in the same context of net activity for hurricanes.

(the rest of this post has been moved to the forums section for review)

--Paul/VJB

3. WD4R

WD4R Ham Member QRZ Page

WX4NHC CLARIFICATION ON TOPIC OF DCE COMMENTS.

1. WX4NHC has never asked for or recieved a DCE (Declared Emergency Communications" from the FCC. Although the FCC does monitor our operations on a regular basis.

2, WX4NHC does not run or manage any Nets.
    We participate in the HWN (Hurricane watch Net) and other Nets and recieved Hurricane Surface Reports via many modes and methods.

For more information, please see our web site:
    www.wx4nhc.org

WX4NHC

Julio WD4R
    Asst. Amateur Radio Coordinator WX4NHC

4. Guest

Guest Guest

WX4NHC has never asked the FCC for a declaration of a "communications emergency". We operate in conjunction with the Hurricane Watch Net on 14.325MHz. HWN has asked the FCC to monitor the frequency on occasion when there has been what is clearly interference.

However I can see that for local frequencies, 40 and 80meters it may be necessary to have declarations of a "communications emergency". Propagation being what it is it is possible that a station may be on the frequency and not know he's interferring.

Thanks for your interest, please look at our web site for info about our operation

John Mc Hugh, K4AG
    Amateur Radio Coordinator
    WX4NHC
    National Hurricane Center
    Miami, Florida

5. K5MP

K5MP Ham Member QRZ Page

As the manager of the Hurricane Watch Net, I am not aware in our 35 plus years of existance that we have ever requested our net frequency to be designated as a DCE (declaration of a Communications Emergency).

As previously stated, our net operations on 14.325mhz are actively monitored by officials at the FCC as an unofficial resource for assistance as needed.  We have never requested protection on our net frequency.

I believe the inference to such practice on our net frequency is without merit, and I welcome any discussion to the contrary.

Thanks,

Mike Pilgrim, K5MP
    Manager
    Hurricane Watch Net
    www.hwn.org

6. WX5AAA

WX5AAA Ham Member QRZ Page

7. WD4R

WD4R Ham Member QRZ Page

EchoLink Information:
    WX4NHC will participate in the WX_Talk conference room only.
    This is the conference room we use during Hurricanes.
    The WX-TALK manager is Kevin Anderson KD5CCH.
    The WX_TALK Node is 7203.
    Our on-the-air times may be sparadic, as we will be conducting equipment and antenna tests and training.
    Thank you all for your support and participation as we prepare for the upcoming Hurricane Season.
    Julio
    WD4R

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.