ad: Radclub22-1

WX APRS Stations in Florida

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KG4JYD, Aug 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. KG4JYD

KG4JYD Ham Member QRZ Page

This handy dandy site lists APRS stations within a given set of search paramaters. The link below lists all APRS WX reporting stations in the Orlando area during hurricane Charley:
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/wxnear.cgi?call=KB2RC

To fully take advantage of the site some CGI knowledge is required.

It is interesting to look at the graphs paying particular attention to the spikes in wind/direction along with the drop of pressure almost 20milibars during the storm.

If someone can find some APRS WX stations that were reporting in the Port Charlotte/Ft. Meyers area this would be interesting to post so that we could all review.

2. W9GRN

W9GRN QRZ Member QRZ Page

Checking the site out.Thankyou for the info.Hopefully, the people down in Florida will come out of this alright.My sincere condolenses to the families who lost their loved ones in this weather disaster.

3. KG2V

KG2V Ham Member QRZ Page

4. W3RFA

W3RFA Ham Member QRZ Page

After checking maybe 30 weather stations in the central part of Florida, it's interesting that over 90% of them stopped reporting in the early hours of Aug. 14. Most likely this was due to loss of power or internet connectivity. Even most of those that were hams (registered with callsign) didn't seem to have backup power. This is when hams should shine by using the 144.39 MHz APRS system to get these weather reports through. It looks like we should take a look at the radio link backups for our mostly internet based weather reporting system. Those hams who are citizen weather reporters should look into connecting a 2 meter transceiver to their PC in addition to the internet.

5. KA5S

KA5S Ham Member QRZ Page

6. Guest

Guest Guest

I can tell you what my problem with continuing to report was. Of course, I have no power still, on generator. Bigger problem is that Charley ate my antenna. He wrecked some major havoc around my place. Took a shed that was built to stay put in winds up to 115mph and tossed it in between mine and a neighbors house. Still had a BBQ grill, two bikes, lawnmower, lawn equipment and other items in there. Did not expect that to get blown off.

7. KB0TVJ

KB0TVJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Here are data from APRS Citizen Weather Observer Program (CWOP) stations near Orlando, FL. These data were taken during the passage of Hurricane Charley on August 14.

http://www.wxqa.com/charley.html

We'd like to thank the many CWOP operators in Florida who were certainly under adverse conditions during this event.

Russ KB0TVJ

8. KG4JYD

KG4JYD Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you for posting that update. It is appreciated.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.