WWV & WWVH to get the axe

Discussion in 'Amplitude Modulation' started by W7TFO, Aug 14, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. AG6QR

AG6QR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

But you're missing the point that the TV spectrum is a public resource that the government can sell for big bucks.

In auction 73, the government raised over 19 billion dollars by selling the spectrum formerly used by channels 52-67.

That's enough to fund WWV/WWVB/WWVH for about the next three thousand years, at current rates.

2. KA2RRK

KA2RRK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I think we missed an opportunity to sell two point five, five, ten, and twenty five to Mexico?

KA2RRK

3. K4KYV

K4KYV Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

ePay auction: #252610556561

These GPSDO modules are deeply discounted due to being surplus now... you get a lot of engineering per $.

It would greatly simplify things if everyone went to GMT/UTC world-wide. And get rid, once and for all, of that clock-changing nonsense twice a year.

4. N2DTS

N2DTS Ham Member QRZ Page

I think I understand the topic, the US can not afford to run the time standard stations.
    I have no need of them so I do not really care, but they were a good reference for band conditions, radio calibration (some sdr radios auto calibrate off wwv) and time was the least of it.

Sure, old tech gets shut off, I think loran is done, many airport beacon's are gone, analog TV (soon digital as well).

5. K5UJ

K5UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I've actually been saying for a few years that if the world went to UTC, a lot of needless BS would go away, like the twice annual clock changes, and confusion over time zones, and who is on daylight savings and who isn't, plus Europe changes their clocks at a different time from US and so on. If you schedule international on-line meetings all this makes setting the time a PITA. Hams and military went to Zulu time decades ago as we all know, and setting a schedule is a breeze as a result. But talking to non-hams, even when scattered around the world as business partners, about UTC is like talking to a brick wall. The inertia that blocks the general population from adopting UTC for their regular day to day time won't go away until a majority of people are in situations where they travel a lot and are in regular scheduled communication that is intercontinental. You also run into conspiracy fearists, and not invented here syndrome. We'll all probably be SK when it happens, but eventually it will.

6. KA2RRK

Sorry folks, but your so-called SDR'S that depend on WWV, As well as other old fashioned gear will have to be re-fitted with modern standards of time keeping devices. And various other means of conversion.

Welcome to the "New Age". Same as the "Old Age". There has to be a "Twist". The pinball.... (Who!)...

The government is not responsible for time. It is making sure your soldering iron stays hot though. This
    time around, the government has not been able to provide you with any time conversion
    equipment, discount cards, or the like as it did, with DTV set top boxes... Nor any recourse
    to make up for lost or stolen time.

I believe that in the near future you will all understand why this service has run it's course. But
    then, perhaps not. Full disclosure of UFOs has been avoided for decades...

Just in from the High Council members of the United Federation of Planets, namely Vulcans as the
    Majority in attendance:
    A radio that depends on the government service, is just plain fascinating! Especially when you
    have a government endorsement of "In God We Trust".

Why do I believe that it ran it's course? I think it is a national/world security problem , more than a dollars and cents problem. I mean, what would you do if your clock was hacked? I don't think you
    would say "Today, our Atomic Clock was hacked!" Now I am not saying it, Was. I am just saying that I
    can understand that it could happen to be the Best explanation of the event. Sorta like Roswell, no?
    Let's assume that for this moment, we stubbled into successful time travel. Then we discovered the
    truth that time doesn't exist at all, except to prevent severe insanity. Would you not then deem WWV and
    the like a total waste of time and monetary value? Especially when you also discovered by happen stance, were all insane to some degree or another. And everything is an illustration of what we can
    not comprehend.

Well, for now I'll sign off with a smile and catch you, as the VFO spins...

(Nothing stated here by me, is based on fact, all places, names, references to time and other
    Physical therapy are by Meer coincidence, and have been changed when needed to make
    this an amusement of time wasting, and is totally fictional. And to protect something close
    to reality.)

KA2RRK

7. N2DTS

N2DTS Ham Member QRZ Page

I did not say any sdr's DEPEND on wwv, just that they could use it to adjust themselves using it.
    Its much more a frequency standard then a time standard for most hams I would think.
    Your cell phone gives you gps time, but not a 10 MHz standard....

8. KE4OH

KE4OH Ham Member QRZ Page

You know, it's not the time signal from WWV that I'm interested in. What I will miss, should it disappear, is the frequency standard. I have a bunch of boatanchor receivers and transceivers with 100Kc crystal calibrators. It would shoot a hole in my soul to have to go out and buy a frequency counter just to dial in my calibrators. Most of those things are solid state! Horrors!!

N2EY likes this.
  9. KA2RRK

:cool:

My glasses are now cleaner, amazing how windex works...

10. KA2RRK

You could by a newer rig with tcxo and use it as a pseudo "Roll your own, WWV". JUST USE your
    attenuator and the transverter jack. I know this will work because my doc gives a hot kick start
    to me every month or two so I stop bobing and weaving down the highway.

Hey, where did I, did you drink my bloody Mary?
    KA2RRK