WWV & WWVH to get the axe

Discussion in 'Amplitude Modulation' started by W7TFO, Aug 14, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: FBNews-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. W7TFO

W7TFO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

2. K4KYV

K4KYV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Maybe CHU will set up additional transmitters on the WWV frequencies. Or maybe the Chinese. Another world-wide US-based service bites the dust. Those transmitters don't run all that much power, and the simple vertical radiators are not all that expensive to maintain. $6.3 million probably makes up a total of about 30 seconds worth of annual federal spending.

But, WWV/WWVH have to go; they aren't digital!

KD0DQZ likes this.
  3. N2DTS

N2DTS Ham Member QRZ Page

People do not like the government and like taxes even less, but we are great again!

4. AG6QR

AG6QR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The subject line claims WWVB is on the chopping block. But the proposal is just for WWV and WWVH.

I suspect WWVB is safe for quite a while, because it's what keeps all those inexpensive radio controlled clocks and wristwatches in sync.

AC0OB and KD0DQZ like this.
  5. W2NBC

W2NBC Ham Member QRZ Page

The "time" aspect of WWV is useful for all of us. However, the frequency standard (reference) with modulated tones is the go-to for calibration on every one of my receivers, analog or digital.

We've come a long way baby.. build-your-own-radio-country-gentleman-cover-august-16-1924.jpg

KC8YLT likes this.
  6. N8AFT

N8AFT Ham Member QRZ Page

NIST seems to be the anti-typical gov't agency.
    They plan to request extensive voluntary funding cut backs to many of their other existing programs besides just WWV/WWVH.

7. N1BCG

N1BCG Ham Member QRZ Page

Running ads and brokered programming should fix the revenue issue. As a last resort, a sale to iHeart might be an option.

8. K4KYV

K4KYV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

9. AG6QR

AG6QR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have to correct myself here. I believe WWVB actually IS on the chopping block, despite its usefulness. That may cause some political repercussions when the citizens find out that their radio controlled clocks no longer work, but...

The official government document that started this is here:

http://www.osec.doc.gov/bmi/budget/FY19CBJ/NIST_and_NTIS_FY2019_President's_Budget_for_508_comp.pdf

And the important paragraph from that document, page NIST-25, is:

NIST will discontinue the dissemination of the U.S. time and frequency via the NIST radio stations in Hawaii and Ft. Collins, CO. These radio stations transmit signals that are used to synchronize consumer electronic products like wall clocks, clock radios, and wristwatches, and may be used in other applications like appliances, cameras, and irrigation controllers.

It doesn't mention any specific call signs, but it doesn't exclude any, either. It says it will stop the stations at Ft. Collins, and will stop the signals that are used to synchronize consumer electronics like wall clocks, clock radios, and wristwatches. To me, that certainly sounds like they intend to shut down WWVB, as well as WWV and WWVH.

10. K5UJ

K5UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I suppose this is part of "adapting to the 21st Century." Sounds like another thing that got snuck into a bill just like the FAA 50 foot tower rule.

As a member of Congress famously said, "Congress either does nothing or over reacts."