ad: CQMM-1

WWV Discontinuing Operations?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AD7I, Aug 13, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W0BTU

W0BTU Ham Member QRZ Page

Fair enough. However, I was talking about adjusting the frequency in --for example-- my Icom IC-765 transceiver, and not a piece of test equipment.

2. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Looks like they might have acquired a stay of execution.

3. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

4. SM0AOM

SM0AOM Ham Member QRZ Page

The IC-765 represents another case, as not all internal oscillators are derived from the 30 MHz reference.

There do not exist any simple solutions of aligning all receive or transmit oscillator frequencies on the IC-765 exactly using an "off-air frequency standard" without using either a frequency counter, signal generator or second receiver.

If a second receiver is available, the attenuated transmitter signal in AM or CW mode could be zero-beat with WWV or CHU and the reference oscillator adjusted until the transceiver indicated frequency exactly matches the listed frequency.

This relies on that the non-synthesised carrier oscillators for SSB, CW and/or RTTY have not drifted too much from their nominal values.

When a synthesised signal generator is available, it can be first zero-beated on the standard frequency and then used for zero-beating the transceiver on other frequencies.

A frequency counter could be adjusted by first zero-beating the transceiver on the standard frequency and then adjust the counter reference until it shows the same frequency as the standard.

Then all oscillator frequencies could be measured and adjusted to their proper values.

For equipment that have all internal oscillators derived from the same internal reference, this becomes a lot easier.
    The usual procedure is to set the equipment to CW or SSB modes with a sufficiently wide symmetrical IF filter and the BFO frequency set at offsets of either zero or + or - 1 kHz.

The reference oscillator is then adjusted for zero-beat at the indicated frequency +/- any BFO offset.

73/
    Karl-Arne
    SM0AOM

5. AK9R

AK9R XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I wouldn't jump too soon on that line of thinking.

Even though CQ Magazine has proclaimed that funding has been restored for the NIST time broadcasts, the bill, H.R. 21, has only passed the in the House. It has not passed in the Senate and it has not been signed by the President.

http://cqnewsroom.blogspot.com/2019/03/wwv-funding-restored-centennial.html

https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-congress/house-bill/21?q={"search":["hr+21"]}&s=1&r=1

The White House has gone on record as saying that the Administration opposes H.R. 21.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/SAP_HR21_HJRes1-1.pdf

6. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Here we go again ...

The Administration's 2020 budget request (request, not the final word on the matter) has a 30% cut for NIST. (see American Institute of Physics Federal Science Budget Tracker)

Details are not out yet as far as I know, so it's not known yet if that affects WWV etc next year, but that's just about the same cut that was proposed last year, and since the facilities construction budget was already cut this year, this cut would have to dig into the actual science & technology and we already know that NIST doesn't see WWV as important as many other things.

But I expect that, like last year, the Congress will simply ignore the Adminsitration budget request and do their own thing. No telling at this point if that will impact WWV. So, no need to panic just yet.

KX4O likes this.
  7. W0BTU

W0BTU Ham Member QRZ Page

I can easily and accurately adjust the frequency on my IC-765 within 1 or 2 Hz by tuning in WWV and switching the mode switch between AM and both sidebands. The frequency adjustment pot is under the removable cover on the top of the radio. Why could I not do the same with CHU?

8. ND5Y

ND5Y Ham Member QRZ Page

Unless they changed recently CHU has one sideband.

W0BTU likes this.
  9. SM0AOM

SM0AOM Ham Member QRZ Page

You can adjust the nominal frequency to CHU as well as WWV this way, but as the BFO frequencies are not locked to any reference, it is not possible to discern between the constant error caused by the inexact BFO frequencies and any multiplied reference error which is proportional to frequency.

If the reference is adjusted to 10 MHz WWV, the reference error may be eliminated, and the BFO error isolated.

This has a very small importance when the radio is used to listen or transmit to other stations, but may influence off-air frequency measurements.

73/
    Karl-Arne
    SM0AOM

W0BTU likes this.