WWV Calendar?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KK5JY, Aug 30, 2018.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

So far, the only "news" I have seen regarding WWV shutdown is that NIST has proposed a shutdown in the FY19. That year starts in just over a month.

Has anybody seen a calendar or schedule related to when they intend to power everything down if their budget proposal is approved?

2. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The appropriations bills that include NIST have yet to be passed in Congress. They're probably not going to finish those on time again this year.

In any case, the bills do not contain the drastic budget cuts that were in the administration request - congress basically ignored the NIST request. That doesn't mean that WWV is "safe" - it just means that the money will be available but that NIST could still decide to kill WWV if they want to, but it would not be for lack of money.

KK5JY likes this.
  3. KK5JY

I guess that means that it was also possible that NIST proposed the WWV shutdown in anticipation of being required to cut their budget??

4. NN4RH

As far a schedule is concerned ... Actually NIST could pull the plug on WWV any time, if they really wanted to.

For reference if you want to follow it, the NIST funding is in HR 5952 and . S 3072. Nothing has changed with either of those since the end of June.

KK5JY likes this.
  5. KK5JY

Yes, this is exactly what I needed. Thanks. :cool:

6. NN4RH

As I understand it, NIST was directed by the White House to submit a budget request with a 35% cut, so that's what they did. Certainly no federal agency I can think of would voluntarily cut their own budget by that much! Anyway, along the line they felt that to preserve their forefront research for the future, they had to let go of some older things, including WWV/H/B.

7. KK5JY

Okay, that situation makes more sense (at least to me) now.

8. NN4RH

What you'll see is basically a lump sum for all of NIST research & scientific programs. It won't be broken down to the level of individual projects.

The appropriations bills cut only "facility construction", and only by 10 or 15%, not the basic science & technology budget.

KK5JY likes this.
  9. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm not sure we will EVER see a passed budget bill again in the foreseeable future. They seem to have caught on to the fact they can keep the government running via continuing resolutions, dicker about budget bills indefinitely, and never have to make any really hard choices. As long as that continues I think WWV/H/B are safe.

KK5JY likes this.
  10. WW2E

WW2E Ham Member QRZ Page

I want to go on record one more time saying this loud and clear: Neither WWV nor its sister stations will be shutting down.

Refer back to this post in two months or two years and see that I am correct.

Now I wish everyone a pleasant evening.

KC1DQH, KG4RRH, KK5JY and 1 other person like this.