WWII HF communications reliability question

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K9KQX, Oct 15, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. KD2ACO

KD2ACO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Here's a nailbiting, excellent book on the subject by RV Jones.

Most Secret War

edit: Whatta great thread! Keep it up, gents. :p

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020
    WZ7U, WA1GXC, K9KQX and 1 other person like this.
  2. KC2XU

KC2XU Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I’m a great reader on the Pacific War, and it’s truly amazing how unreliable even the TBS equipment of the day was. One major (and insane) hurdle for HF comm was that messages originating in the Army or Navy had to go to their own HQ, then back around and out to the other service. It’s a major reason sited in the several day delay in getting to the survivors of the USS Indianapolis, as the nearest search planes were McArthur/US Army.
    Poor TBS comms were responsible for several carrier to carrier miscommunication in both Midway and Guadalcanal, causing a decent and good Admiral, Frank Jack Fletcher to be blaimed for ‘abandoning’ the Marines at Guadalcanal.

KD2ACO likes this.
  3. KC2XU

KC2XU Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Oh, forgot to say my novice 2m transmitter in 1965 was an ARC 4, with the (I think) the most beautiful tube ever.... 832A. :cool:

W4NNF likes this.
  4. K9KQX

K9KQX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

This thread really has been enjoyable to read. Nice change of pace from the demise of ham radio threads.

Btw did I get ham radio right this time :D;)

KD2ACO, W6MDA and PU2OZT like this.
  5. WA1GXC

WA1GXC Ham Member QRZ Page

FB! "Most Secret War" is a fabulous book.

Two others of high merit, very readable and informative:

"Hut Six Story", by Gordon Welchman. Out of print, difficult to find, packed-full of technically detailed but accessible information.
    Welchman is considered the father of modern "Traffic Analysis", looking at communications and message patterns to generate wild-guesses
    that facilitate the opening of a crack into breaking ciphers. Hut Six was the building at Bletchley Park where he worked as a young man on Enigma codes.
    Sadly, the UK went after Welchman (in the early 1980s!) for violating the UK 'Official Secrets Act'. He died a broken man, in Australia.
    All politics--He was hounded by the Government because the book, rather than falsely lauding everything that was done in pursuing the Enigma
    code-breaking, came to the intellectual conclusion that the Brits and US broke the code, in significant part, because the Germans were sloppy
    and not fastidious enough in their communications procedures. He articulated this as a cautionary tale to all our Allies today about the arrogance
    of organizations and their self-blind follies. This did not sit well with those at the top who are always looking to promote the glory of the Empire.

"Secret Wireless War" , Geoffrey Pidgin, WW II UK's GCHQ veteran.
    Great book, available thru ARRL and other booksellers. Expensive, $40 , but a great investment you'll enjoy.

Add: By the way, "Hut Six" was embargoed upon its publication and illegal to sell in the UK and was declared
    a threat to national security. However, it was already printed and on bookshelves in the US.
    The Crown prosecuted Welchman nonetheless.

KD2ACO and PU2OZT like this.
  6. 2E0CIT

2E0CIT Ham Member QRZ Page

'III Reich was building the whole Europa. And quite from scrap, everything has to be very well built'
    Such idiotic drivel!
    Nazi ideology and the idiots that follow it started a war that killed between 75 and 85 million people and achieved NOTHING but destruction. They left Europe in ruins. My father fought them in WW2 alongside 'french commies' and returned permanently disabled but happy to be alive. If they re-appear in whatever country we'll fight the scum again.

W4NNF, WA0YDE, EI4HWB and 3 others like this.
  7. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Which, if you apply appropriate terminology, wasn't the landing forces on French beaches in 1944 technically Antifa soldiers?

2E0CIT and K6CLS like this.
  8. K5ABB

K5ABB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I knew sooner or later this really interesting thread was going to deteriorate into political crap... so bummed.

PU2OZT likes this.
  9. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Slow your roll sir, it is still an interesting thread. I'm sorry you feel that way because I really mean it as a compliment to the greatest generation's effort quashing real fascists, not some knee jerk current events thing.

Lately, its so hard to convey meaning when people have these preconceived notions about others.

2E0CIT likes this.
  10. N3HGB

N3HGB Ham Member QRZ Page

Besides for that, the idea that the Nazis supremely competent and organized is a myth that won't die.
    Obviously there were some areas of Nazi science and industry that did quite well, see the V2 rocket program and all the rocket scientists that ended up at NASA, but generally Hitler attracted a bunch of criminals that spent the war stealing everything that wasn't nailed down and trying to undermine each other.
    They never had a chance to build anything but a stinking heap of corpses.

N1FMV, 2E0CIT, K4PIH and 1 other person like this.