ad: Radclub22-1

WW8N tower court case could set a precedent for all US amateurs

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W0BTU, Feb 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. K1VR

K1VR Ham Member QRZ Page

The Village of Swanton appealed WW8N's win at the Court of Common Pleas to the Court of Appeals. The Ohio Court of Appeals (Sixth Appellate District) has now dismissed the Village appeal as "untimely" (late). The Village has filed an Application for Reconsideration with the Appeals Court. The court decisions may be found at http://www.antennazoning.com/main/page_amateur_radio_legal_library.html. WW8N now has a permit for 40' (previously the Village would not grant him any permit). The fight is now all about going to 60'.

2. W4PG

W4PG QRZ Lifetime Member #279 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Thanks, Fred! Great job!!

...........Bob

3. W0BTU

W0BTU Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for your hard work helping Gary, Fred. He speaks very highly of you.

And at the rate this process is moving, Gary will be a silent key by the time that happens.

I'm not trying to be funny or sarcastic. It's just that it has taken six or seven years (hasn't it?) just to get to this point. What I see happening is the Village dragging this out in the courts until Gary is too old (or poor) to fight anymore.

4. N2SR

N2SR Ham Member QRZ Page

I just read the decision (about the 40 foot approval) in the May QST. And I applaud Fred's work. A definite win for Amateur Radio.

I'm not trying to be anti-ham here, but one piece of information that seems to be lacking is how much land the ham has. Unless it's a misprint, the QST article states that he has 0.2 acres. Does anyone realize how much, or how small that actually is? Remember that is not the backyard, that is the total piece of land!

That is a piece of land 93 feet X 93 feet.

Where would you like to put the tower?

5. KC8RWR

KC8RWR Ham Member QRZ Page

I also live in Ohio but in a non-HOA home. I haven't purchased a tower yet but I do have a J-Pole. I mounted it to a pipe which I strapped to an evergreen. The antenna sticks out the top. It's in plain sight although I did paint it green in an attempt to play nice as best I can with the neighbors. We have a couple neighbors who like to complain about things but nobody has ever mentioned my antenna to me. I'm not sure anyone has ever even noticed!

Anyway, even without an HOA we have no hogs, chickens, goats, sheep, people living in sheds or adult bookstores in our little cul-de-sac. Ok, there is one neighbor who lets his dog loose. The dog is sweet, friendly, has never pooped in our yard (that I know of) and is probably too old to hurt anyone even if she wanted to.

Honestly, neighborhoods do just fine or better without busybodies making rules about what other people can do with their own homes.

6. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Good point!

I looked at the satellite view, and the lot isn't square. My guess is that it's about 50 feet wide, which means a depth of about 173 feet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.