ad: M2Ant-1

WW1USA Observes Centennial Event from World War I, February 7th and 8th

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W0ICQ, Jan 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. W0ICQ

W0ICQ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

SmSq-The_End_of_the_'Baby-Killer'.png WW1USA Observes Centennial Event from World War I, February 7th and 8th

As many of you know, WW1USA, the Amateur Radio Club of the National World War I Museum at Liberty Memorial at Kansas City is hosting a number of Special Radio Events, commemorating moments in history during the four year centennial of the Great War. On the weekend of February 7th and 8th, such a special event will be “on the air” in observance of the Beginning of War from the Air.

Previous to the First World War, aviation had been used primarily for scouting and intelligence since the mid-nineteenth century, primarily from balloons and eventually powered dirigibles and airplanes. For instance, the first use of airplanes by the United States with limited success for scouting and observation was during the Punitive Expedition into Mexico during March 1916.
    With the outbreak of World War I on the European Continent, the use of aircraft as a potent weapon was being seriously considered by the major powers at war. In January 1915, Germany began what is today referred to as Strategic Bombing against England and France. The intended outcome was not only to damage targets of military interest, but also to strike fear in the hearts and minds of the citizens, which would inhibit the will of the targeted nation to wage war.

Due to the limitations of technology of the time, actual damage to targets was not extensive, if the intended targets were hit at all, however the perception of the hated Zeppelins as a weapon of terror did achieve an appreciable degree of success. As a result of these raids, considerable resources and effort were diverted from the front in order to combat the weapons from the sky. Experience, both defensive and offensive was gained by both side of the conflict, which evolved in to the policies and tactics used in the Second World War, and ultimately to the doctrine of Mutually Assured Destruction, (MAD,) used during the latter half of the twentieth century during the Cold War and beyond.

Special Event Station WW1USA of the National World War I Museum at Liberty Memorial will be on the air at Kansas City, Missouri to commemorate this historic event, and invite all licensed amateur radio operators in the region to come to the museum to operate during this special event. Simply go to http://ww1usa.org and look for the link in the article regarding the February 7th and 8th Event. That link will take you to a page where you can schedule when you’d like to operate! This is a great opportunity to participate at the fun side of a radio pile up, where everyone wants to talk to YOU! (Time slots are available on a first come / first served basis.)

ATTENTION ELMERS! Do you know a newly licensed ham? Here’s a great opportunity to present the thrill and excitement of HF Radio to your protégée! Sign up for a time slot at http://ww1usa.org and work with your new ham as he or she operates the WW1USA Event Station. This is a perfect opportunity to introduce new operators to the excitement of a pile up!

Additionally, operators who present an operator license will receive $5 admission to the Museum for themselves and $5 each for up to three guests. (No other discounts apply.)

If you’re not able to come to Kansas City to operate at the WW1USA Special Event Station, operators from around the world are invited to make contact with WW1USA via radio during the Special Event. Look for details how you may receive your Contact Certificate at http://ww1usa.org. A QSL Card can be obtained via mail by sending SASE or by providing other return postage. You can also obtain an Electronic QSL Card via eQSL.

2. KW0U

KW0U Ham Member QRZ Page

Very interesting information. For a fictionalized view of a battle with a Zeppelin, see the remarkable sequence in Howard Hughes' 1930 film, "Hell's Angels." Here's a link, enjoy: http://vimeo.com/10989337

3. W6UDO

W6UDO Ham Member QRZ Page

Tnx!! Great info here and on the ww1usa.org website. Love the picture of that old radio gear!! I'll be hunting for you on those dates in hopes of a QSO!! I didn't see any info about freqs and modes, tho; hope that is forthcoming. Vy 73...Joe

4. WU8Y

WU8Y Ham Member QRZ Page

Freqs will be announced, on the 'Zed page for WW1USA and on the DX cluster, during the event. Modes will be primarily SSB, with some CW and possibly digital.

73 de Joel WU8Y

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.