WTB scam: email, PayPal and photo fraud pattern

Discussion in 'Stolen Radios, Scams and Rip-Offs' started by W1FYL, Feb 7, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. W1FYL

W1FYL Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm currently being scammed with my recent WTB post. I was alerted to the scam by emails from two different gmail addresses with identical photos of equipment attached.

I'm receiving replies to my post from scammers using an email address pattern of
    first name-callsign@gmail.com; and callsign-name@gmail.com. I have received emails from:

k5ahedward@gmail.com
    brianka7kdx@gmail.com
    randallw0gk@gmail.com

Replies have used poor English grammar, punctuation and capitalization.

Unfortunately, I bit on the first offer to sell. I sent payment via PayPal Friends and Family at the seller's request before I read here about that scam pattern. (No intention to defraud PayPal of their fees: I wasn't familiar with this feature, and was complying with the seller's request).

This seller accepted payment, but shortly emailed, saying that his uncle had died, he was out of town, but would ship soon. I'm sure I'll never hear from him again. (This guy used photos different from the other two). Fortunately, I lost only $100 on this scam.

Red flag: Unable to sleep, I had a series of gmail email exchanges with the seller in the middle of the night. I assumed he was an insomniac like me; but given the broken English, it's possible that he was overseas, where it was daylight for him. My PayPal payment went to a woman with a Hispanic surname.

I will attempt to contact the call signs used in this correspondence to alert them of the scam.