WSPR reporting incorrect transmit power

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by W4KJG, Nov 20, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. W4KJG

W4KJG Subscriber QRZ Page

I've been going through the many pains of setting up a new station after downsizing, moving back to VA, selling our long-time WV farm, and selling our long-time NC beach home.

I sure have fought a lot of unexpected issues in getting back on the air. That is a whole different topic for a separate thread, or maybe an article for people setting up a new station for the first time.

One of the last items I can't get seem to resolve is incorrect reporting of my WSPR power levels.

I'm using WSJT-X v2.1.0 for my WSPR modulation and data source. It is setup to report my transmit power level at "+37 dBm 5 W".

I'm running an old Tentec 505. It puts out about 3-5 watts (+35 to +37 dBm into a 50 Ohm matched antenna) under the very best of conditions.

For some reason, about 30-35%% of my WSPR reports have starting reporting my power level as .001 Watts. The other 65-70% show my WSJT-X v2.1.0 selected level of 5 Watts or +37 dBm, which is what I have set in WSJT-X.

I'm monitoring the reports of my signals on the many tools available on http://wsprnet.org/drupal/

All of the tools list or map my signals with these two far different power levels.

I've done all kinds of things to try and resolve this. I've gone far beyond just rebooting my computer. I've reloaded and reinstalled WSJT-X. I have changed over from my belchfire computer to my laptop. I even switched from my primary multi-band Inverted-L antenna to my 40/20 meter fan Inverted Vee.

What am I misunderstanding or doing wrong?

Thanks,
    Ken

2. KB2IOF

KB2IOF Ham Member QRZ Page

I am noticing the exact same issue. I was wondering if it was just me.