WSPR Ops in Texas

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by KD6RF, Mar 27, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: HRDLLC-2
  1. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

I decoded 'ONT when I was on the vertical, but not on the loop, even though he's twice as close to me. I decoded 'RF when I was on the loop, but not on the vertical. Hopefully I'll score a small-ish drive-on base in Belton and be able to go up on the hill by the water tower southwest of me and give it a go. Alternatively, I can go to the park out near the Cedar Hill transmitter sites during the work week and see what I can hear.

2. AA5CT

AA5CT Ham Member QRZ Page

Good morning gentleman. Running WSPR this morning (as I did yesterday and
    last night), but seeing no traces this morning!

Have drizzle and fog here ATTM (6:50 AM CDT) and theorize the atmosphere is
    not giving us much in the way of 'ducting' via tropospheric refraction.

Open to theories on this - yesterday as the rain band moved through KD6RF
    and myself also saw a loss of 'path' - no spots - until the rain passed, allowing
    the lower atmosphere, the troposphere to 're-stratify' a bit and refract some
    2m RF energy.

73 and will be on 2m WSPR the balance of today, per plan.

de Jim WB5WPA

PS. Equipment setup here is a gain vertical antenna (an old KLM) and IC-910H radio.

PPS. Just saw first trace from KD6RF at 1154z 06:54 CDT Monday

Last edited: Apr 6, 2015
  3. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

I left my receiver running overnight and while I am at work -- I'll fire up the TX when i get home tonight. There was some ducting this AM -- I was hearing the Greenville TX repeater very well from Cedar Hill and was able to key it up.

4. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You may find this useful - http://www.dxinfocentre.com/tropo.html

http://swotrc.net/TropoStuff.htm

http://aprs.mountainlake.k12.mn.us/

Around here, the Mountainlake APRS map is pretty accurate, but it misses the activity in Gulf. There is, indeed, a tropo path from here in southern MN to Michigan most days.

I hope you succeed in drumming up more WSPR activity around the Gulf Coast - the tropo scatter in that region seems to be pretty prevalent, and it would be interesting to see it. I've observed it while driving around the Gulf on I-10, listening to FM repeaters, so weak signal stuff should be that much better.

5. KC5RET

KC5RET Ham Member QRZ Page

Frank,

Version 7 of what? I see only version 2.12 for WSPR or did I miss something?

Thanks for your time.

73, Rob, KC5RET

6. KD6RF

KD6RF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Interesting coupla days!

I suspect if everybody was on horiz polarization (which, as I understand, has a bit of an advantage for low angle propagation), then we really should start racking up the spots.

In California, I/we did a bit of cross-polarization testing. I was surprised to find that polarization was pretty much retained, even over hill and over dale. I had expected polarization to get all jumbled over the 100 mile paths, but it still had a good roughly 10 dB or better preference for the same polaization at TX and RX.

And of course gain antenna, esp at the long distyance end (Richmind) could make a big difference :) 10 or 12 dB gain there, and it might keep the energy off of the near-by high-Doppler Aircraft, and might shine it on the mid-path Aircraft that would give us a high reliability ACS link. Just like the KC6KGE link in Calif.

I will be getting a better antenna setup here as well, and get it up higher than the crummy 12 ft it's at now - as we know, elevation makes HUGE difference in low-angle gain.

Anyway, thanks all, and hope to see everyone again next week.

7. KF5ONT

KF5ONT Ham Member QRZ Page

Noticing some good prop.
    Just turned on my station. 20 watts into 2 phased loops at 30'

Attached Files:

8. KD6RF

KD6RF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Sure looks like you're in there, 80 Hz below band edge....
    erzgpt.jpg
    It won't take much to start getting decodes here - I will gain a good 5 or 6 dB just with change in antenna height. Maybe next week I get to work on ham stuff.

9. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

10. K2NCC

K2NCC Ham Member QRZ Page

Sure thing Rob. You'll have to find a copy somewhere, but V7 allowed you to exchange reports etc similar to JT65/9.

Oh, and please folks, don't leave your WSPR transmitter unattended!