WSPR Ops in Texas

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by KD6RF, Mar 27, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: HRDLLC-2
  1. KF5ONT

KF5ONT Ham Member QRZ Page

Not seeing anyone on now. I reduced my tx% down to 14, I dont want the amp getting too hot. I'm hard keying it and doing about 90 watts out with 10 in. Will leave it on for awhile.

2. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

Ok, I'm up and going until I run out of battery. 2.5w into a square loop in EM12hp.

3. KD6RF

KD6RF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Bottom most (earliest) trace looks like 2 sigs in there. One is a bit out of band high, other may be decodable, or might be a bit too Dopplered.

33xy1hl.jpg

Soooo close :)

4. KF5FEI

i got you twice so far.

5. KD6RF

[TABLE]
    [TR]
    [TD]
    [/TD]
    [TD] 2015-04-05 21:38 KD6RF 144.490468 -21 -1 EM22lr 20 KF5FEI EM12hp 219 268
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]
    [/TD]
    [TD] 2015-04-05 21:42 KD6RF 144.490469 -19 0 EM22lr 20 KF5FEI EM12hp 219 268

Outstanding!

162095x.jpg

I have about 10 dB on you since I'm running 20 W. I would be surprised if Jim WB5WPA didn't see you and visa verso.

If you guys are registered on wsprnet.org, it is sometimes handy to use the chat feature there to coordinate :)

[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

6. KF5FEI

I'm limited on vertical real estate -- I rigged the loop on my 50' fiberglass mast with 75' of LMR-400 coming in through the back door to my 817. Mast is tied to carport leg and up 30'.

7. KD6RF

Ha! Well you have much better antenna than I do now. I have little temp 4 el Arrow yagi on tripod and tent poles at 12 ft.

I think that there's a lot of potential here in Texas guys (and gals?), to get good data for those propeller heads that like to analyze that sort of thing.

Jim, WB5WPA has mentioned that he will likely be upgrading his 2 M setup, as will I. I'm thinking stacked halo's or 2 el yagi's up 30 ft or so (more if the xyl lets me :) )... Antenna height, as you know, makes a HUGE difference at VHF/UHF.

Don't know if y'all are interested, but it really helps to be locked to a reference. I use homebrew-ish Efratom FRS-A rubidium standard to lock my IC-706's. There are various other reasonably priced option s now - I believe N6GN has a unit of his design (https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/2-meter-wspr). I see new one on the wsprnet.org main page by http://www.vk3hz.net/XRef/XRef_Home.html. Also see some new $150-ish Chinese units on eBay.

Pretty much the entire group in California was phase locked and all within 1 Hz, even on UHF, which was pretty cool. It made it easy, not only to net on freq, but pick out any interesting anomalous propagation just by it's frequency and/or drift.

Anyway, back to monitoring - will be on tonight and tomorrow as well.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2015
  8. KF5FEI

Yeah, I need to pull some new coax into the house so I can run the IC-7000 for this. I could probably strap the loop on top of the mast holding the dipole and leave it. I do have a 13-el Cushcraft, just no place to put it right now.

22:56 -- OK, just hooked IC-7000 up to vertical -- running ~20 watts, I think. We'll see how that goes.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2015
  9. KF5ONT

Got some catches while away.:)

yeesh. Does this error ever? Thats some real dx.

My antenna is only a phased loop set at 30'

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 6, 2015
  10. KF5ONT

I bet it was still decoding when i changed from 20 to 2 meters, put the frequency it had listed when it finished decoding as 144 instead of 14mhz.