WSPR Ops in Texas

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by KD6RF, Mar 27, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-Geochron
  1. KD6RF

KD6RF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You are rnow ight spot on, on 1500 Hz, band center.

I'm on 1520, 20 Hz above band center, = 144.490520 (with dial of 144.4890)

Looks just a crap shoot now on when Doppler cooperates....

2. KF5ONT

KF5ONT Ham Member QRZ Page

Your signals are getting stronger, why are they showing up curved?

Attached Files:

3. KD6RF

Well, they are almost certainly AirCraftScatter, as it is probably too far for direct scatter or diffraction over the terrain.

So, whatever aircraft we are bouncing off of is moving in such a way so as to cause changing Doppler shift.

My guess (and I'm no expert) is that we are bouncing off of different aircraft near to you. Are you near an air port? (I'm not.)

In California, a similar distance path (KC6KGE to Northern Calif) resulted in very low drift, high reliabilty link - but it is thought that all of those signals bounced off of aircraft mid-way between.

The folks at https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/2-meter-wspr are a pretty clever bunch - they sit around trying to figure all this out, and there's a lot of info there.

4. KF5ONT

Yes. I'm in the landing pattern for the airport in Sugarland. Mostly executive type aircraft. Interesting!

5. KD6RF

Well, no worries - I'll bet that once in a while, we'll get a mid-path reflection that will decode.

Those really serious WSPRers will break out the flight data and try to coorelate to known flights :)

I posted on WSPR chat for Jim, WB5WPA to see if he picks you up (which he should). Hopefully he'll see it and power up as well.

6. KD6RF

Here's the USA 2M WSPR map - you can see the distances are about the same from Houston to Dallas area as KC6KGE to Northern California.

w7mmg1.jpg

KC6KGE to Northern Calif is a pretty high reliability path (I decoded Steve all the time when I lived in Bay Area Calif), but no such luck yet for Texas :( Just mucho undecodable ACS so far from Houston area to Gilmer TX.

Some possible differences - I believe KC6KGE uses a pretty high gain yagi - also my current 2 M ant is temporalily on a tripod at about 12 ft. When in California, the yagi was at 25 ft.

Anyway I, and I suspect Jim, will have systems running today (Sunday) and tomorrow.

7. KF5ONT

Just went to 10m and got you on the first transmit!

Last edited: Apr 5, 2015
  8. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

I just got my 2m square loop up this AM -- I will try listening later, when the laptop is charged back up.

9. KD6RF

2 Meter prop is changing - traces from KF5ONT (or perhaps not from KF5ONT?)look darn near decodable (but no cigar yet...). The 10:10 time spot shows KF5ONT nearly drift-less, and a weak direct from WB5WPA as well as a stronger Doppler.

90rr77.jpg

My little Arrow 4 el beam is pointing a bit South of West.

Hope to see you also John.

10. KF5ONT

Going back to 2. Will put an amp inline.