WSPR Ops in Texas

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by KD6RF, Mar 27, 2015.

ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: l-BCInc
  1. KD6RF

KD6RF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

In a somewhat related topic, I was wondering if any of you guys have built one of these Ultimate 3S WSPR Kits. They're only $30. I'm thinking I might pick one up. It looks pretty straight-forward. https://youtu.be/GBIJ6s57Fnk[/QUOTE]

I use one, dedicated for 30 M. It works fine. They have a bit of drift over the TX period, but it doesn't seem to impact decodes too badly. Will be putting the other one together soon for dedicated 40 or 20 M use. The GPS units I got with them work fine for timing and location, but neither was solid enough to use for frequency correction or control. They drift around quite a bit over the 20 degree or so temperature variation in my lab :(

2. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

Got to play a bit today. Worked N5JLD down in Cedar Hill State Park, from SW Fort Worth. Both running 817s on 2.5 watts into 2m horizontal loops.

3. KF5RHI

KF5RHI Ham Member QRZ Page

I've got mine up on 20m right now. I've heard AD0MO, AE2EA & WA7MOX. K9AN has heard me...5W.

4. AA5CT

AA5CT Ham Member QRZ Page

Up and 'cooking' on 2m WSPR from Texas this morning.

While I'm here posting, I'll make mention of something interesting I saw on a VHF signal
    while the storm moved through the DFW area Friday night: I witnessed Doppler on a VHF
    signal due (ostensibly) due to heavy rain and lightning (generating ionized columns of air)
    caused by fierce outflow winds as the storm moved through the DFW area!

By the time the 07:00 PM screen capture takes place the 'storm' is upon me and the mean
    (average) Doppler velocity shift is seen diminishiung ... as the storm passed the mean Doppler
    shift became negative as seen on the 07:24 PM screen capture.

Jim WB5WPA

Attached Files:

5. KD6RF

Wow. That's really interesting Jim. What's the signal source?

Looks like 7 or 8 Hz doppler?

Haven't seen you on WSPR chat recently???

6. AA5CT

Signal source was from south and west of me in the City of Dallas and closer to
    the storm earlier on.

The beam pattern from the signal source has a higher elevation lobe or pattern too,
    than that found on most terrestrial-service sources, as this was an FAA VOR (VHF
    Omni Range) transmitter .. research shows these use transmitter carrier powers of
    50 to 100 Watts.

I've looked at over half a dozen different VOR stations here in north Central Texas and
    have seen ACS (aircraft) Doppler signals from stations as far east as Texarkana.

Jim WB5WPA

7. AA5CT

KD6RF scores into the DFW area: 1534 -16 -1.4 144.490526 0 KD6RF EM22 37

Attached Files:

8. AA5CT

Really weak trace at 1704z ... but it decoded!

Attached Files:

9. AA5CT

1838z freame too weak to decode, just faint trace

Attached Files:

10. KD6RF

Interesting trace at 14:10 local, and to a lesser extent the previous transmission frame -

hs3osz.jpg

It almost looks as if one of the ACS traces "switches modes" - the strong one near center frequncy quites and seems to jump up to a higher frequency.

Wonder if that means we are seeing reflection from propellor blades? Perhaps geometry works out that we first see receeding blades, then as aircraft passes, we see approaching blade reflections...

Would expect to see sin(x)/x amplitude modulation around the reflection traces as well - but may be too weak to see?