WSPR Ops in Texas

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by KD6RF, Mar 27, 2015.

ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: l-BCInc
  1. KF5RHI

KF5RHI Ham Member QRZ Page

I just lost my WSPR virginity! :) Software installed and configured with no problem. It looks like it's transmitting on 2m as it should. I'm going to let it run for a little bit and check on it in a while.

Quick question...how long can I let this run? I mean I've got the power down to 5W. Can I let it go all night without my precious FT-857 turning to a molten puddle of goo??

Last edited: Apr 22, 2015
  2. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

Set the TX to 10% or so -- that means it listens 9 times (18 mins) and transmits once (2 mins).

3. KD6RF

KD6RF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I generally set it roughly in the 15% to 40% range. 40% if only 2 of us, less if more of us.

On 2 meters I run the IC-706's at 25 Watts. I'd run it higher, but that's about all she does (even though she's rated by Icom for 50). The IC706's run warm, but have been running warm for years now...

4. KF5RHI

I decided to play it safe and shut it down before I went to bed last night.

Assuming we're not in the midst of a typhoon when I get home I'll turn it back on and let it run until the next morning when I leave for work.

5. KF5RHI

Not to sound to overly critical; but I created an account on the WSPRnet site on Monday and still haven't heard from the admin granting me access.

Is this normal?

6. KF5RRF

KF5RRF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Richard,

FYI... I created an account on 6 April and I'm still waiting.

7. KF5RHI

Nice! It's good to see they're on top of things. ;)

I can't see there being that much of a work-load in that particular side of the operation...

Oh well. I'll keep waiting.

8. N5JLD

N5JLD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

i also created one and I'm still waiting 2 weeks

9. KF5RHI

I didn't mean to sound like I was disparaging whomever is running that site. I have no idea what his work-load is. I was just musing out load to see if this was normal. Apparently it is.

10. KF5RHI

Good morning, troops! :cool:

I let my WSPR setup run all night (after lowering the transmit % down to 10%) and got nothing on 2m. I'm going to try again this weekend on some of the HF bands just for sh**s and giggles!

I did find this in the DOS window this morning; but I'm assuming it's because my account has been activated yet.
    WSPR-DOS-Window.jpg

In a somewhat related topic, I was wondering if any of you guys have built one of these Ultimate 3S WSPR Kits. They're only $30. I'm thinking I might pick one up. It looks pretty straight-forward. https://youtu.be/GBIJ6s57Fnk