WSPR Ops in Texas

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by KD6RF, Mar 27, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KD6RF

KD6RF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

2 Meter WSPR activity now comes to Texas - We will be running our WSPR stations Sundays and Mondays, so join us if you can in the East Texas area on 2 Meter WSPR!

Myself (KD6RF) in Gilmer Texas and Jim WB5WPA in the Allen (Dallas) Texas area, have been making the link on a regular basis - a 150 kM distance, all using low power and modest antennas. Last weekend, Christopher KF5KAX also joined us for some good "spots".

A reasonably stable SSB capable rig, a decent antenna (horizontal polarization preferred, but not required), and a computer to run the WSPR software are all that is required to get on the air - 2 Meter frequency of 144.489 MHz dial.

From www.WSPRnet.org, "The Weak Signal Propagation Reporter Network is a group of amateur radio operators using K1JT's MEPT_JT digital mode to probe radio frequency propagation conditions using very low power (QRP/QRPp) transmissions. The software is open source, and the data collected are available to the public through this site." http://wsprnet.org/drupal/

WSPR_0.6.JPG

More info on WSPR, including downloads, are here ---> http://physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/k1jt/wspr.html

VHF and UHF WSPR has been happening daily for years in the California area (and elsewhere!) and you can read of their exploits, as well as other VHF and UHF WSPR activity here ----> https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/2-meter-wspr

Back in California, the 300+ kM link from KC6KGE to the Bay Area, and other central and northern California stations, is very high reliability, and is exclusively AirCraft Scatter. And here in Texas, we are already seeing what I believe to be direct diffraction/scatter as well as lotsa ACS in the path between Jim's QTH and mine.

So it is perfectly possible, even likely, that nice reliable VHF ACS paths (as well as who-knows-what other interesting propagation phenomena) will be found in the ArkLaTex area. Fire up your 2 Meter rig, and join us!

Last edited: Mar 27, 2015
  2. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

I've got a horizontal loop and an 817 I can hook up and try.

3. KD6RF

Look forward to seeing you then John. It will be easy to find Jim WB5WPA on the spectrum.

Of course I'll be a bit weaker, and with lots of Dopplered traces going through my signal as the various aircraft interact. Some times, the stable direct diffused/scattered signal isn't visible at all, and only the curvey dopplered reflections are there (but are often un-decodable...).

4. KD6RF

Sunday morning starting off with strong signals from Jim, WB5WPA as seen at the bottom of the waterfall (along with a dopplering ACS trace).

Also seeing another signal that looks like it's timed properly for WSPR, but looks too narrow? Also a second higher freq siganl tags along witrh it....

[​IMG]

I don't see a third station (as of 07:00 local) on the WSPR map, so perhaps third user is not connected to internet with PC running WSPR? "Upload Spots" button not clicked?

5. K2NCC

K2NCC Ham Member QRZ Page

If you find version 7, you can actually have a QSO and something to log with WSPR.

6. KF5ONT

KF5ONT Ham Member QRZ Page

Just got setup on WSPR-X. I'm TXing on 2m right now.
    Is 5 watts good? Thats as low as my 857 will go.

7. KD6RF

Hi Jeff - didn't see your post until now - I will be heading up to 2 Meters to see if you are still around. I crank the power up to max safe level, about 25 Watts in my case - VHF is a bit tougher, so higher power is no problem. People typically use 50 Watts or so. More if possible on UHF.

Also, we will be on again this Sunday, starting early AM, and Monday.

Join us if you can!

8. KF5ONT

I've got the radio set on 2m. Will come back in a bit to see if I got any captures. Kicked the transmit power up to 50.

9. KD6RF

I'm guessing this is your signal -
    2yyziig.jpg

No decodes yet, lotsa Doppler!

Looks like your rig is about 150 Hz low - could you move dial freq up by that amount?

10. KF5ONT

Picking something up consistently in the 144.490663 area. Cant decode.