ad: Sussex-1

WSPR - An Introduction for Beginners

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VK7HH, Jan 7, 2022.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. VK7HH

VK7HH Ham Member QRZ Page

WSPR (Weak Signal Propagation Reporter) is a mode in the WSJT-X software developed by Dr Joe Taylor K1JT. In this video I show what WSPR is, how to get started and setting up as an introduction for new beginners

OZ9ADD, N6SPP, VA3ERW and 18 others like this.
  2. N5WX

N5WX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I appreciate your WSPR video. I've been using FT8 and FT4 but had not tried WSPR. Thanks and Happy New Year! N5WX

N4GST and VK7HH like this.
  3. N5AQM

N5AQM Ham Member QRZ Page

When not using my OCFD for HF comms, I am running WSPR the rest of the time. Run very low power, less than a watt if possible and you will be amazed who spots you, around the globe. It's alot of fun.

Currently running a QRP labs QDX multi band HF digital transceiver with a Raspberry Pi 4b running WSJTX with about 1 watt out on 20, 30, 40, 80m band hopping. However, You can use any modern HF transceiver to run WSPR

Video is good and gives you all you need to know to get started.

-Mike

G6YZC, N6QLH, VK7HH and 1 other person like this.
  4. AA5BK

AA5BK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Saved, and thanks!

VK7HH likes this.
  5. 2E0TWD

2E0TWD Ham Member QRZ Page

Many thanks Hayden, moving house soon so was going to be looking at WSPR.

VK7HH likes this.
  6. SA1CKE

SA1CKE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I sometimes enable WSPR when I leave the radio unattended since that's a mode that you don't really sit down and watch but is more a propagation service mode.

W0PV, VK7HH and 2E0TWD like this.
  7. K0BZ

K0BZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for putting this video together Hayden. I'm a big fan of 6M FT8 and playing around with WSPR should be a lot of fun.

VK7HH likes this.
  8. VK7HH

VK7HH Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks all for the comments! Hope it helps you to work the DX!

9. DO1FER

DO1FER Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice video and introduction in WSPR. The software itself isnt hardware hungry. So its possible to use an old packet-radio modem with 1200 Baud. The software got in the configuration the option of "Hardware PTT" and the old standards. So its possible to connect the RS232 of a modem with USB, when an adapter is used, and the software will work fine with the old hardware. So there is no need for the latest transceiver and a CAT control. I use this with Debian Linux, if it works with a Windows I dont know. But I think not, in cause of the expensive driver licenses for a Windows system. So the old standards are banned there.

10. K2WH

K2WH Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I have never used whisper on any bands other than 630m and 2200m, just listening and reporting and have decoded a lot of signals on 630m and only 1 on 2200m

My antenna is a simple 80m dipole and tuner bypassed.

But, I never saw the utility or reason to using it on bands where the propagation is well known at any one time.

For the whisper users on the usual HF band, I guess its just a curiosity but what I would like to know, how the author got a whisper signal on his smartphone.

W0PV likes this.
  11. KK4JI

KK4JI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Been running WSPR for quite a while now. Fascinating mode. I even drop my power down to 100mW at times. I'm currently running it at 5W.

12. HB9EPC

HB9EPC Ham Member QRZ Page

signal caché dans le souffle (bruit de bande) c'est toujours étonnant les possibilités du numérique...
    UNE+Chris.

13. 2E0TWD

2E0TWD Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Bill, I have always thought of WSPR as a mode for testing Antennae that I’ve built to be honest.

VK7HH likes this.
  14. K6BBC

K6BBC Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

How are you getting a map that does not look like this?

Screen Shot 2022-01-16 at 11.21.13 PM.png

15. LU7DLS

LU7DLS Ham Member QRZ Page

Seguramente el video acerca de WSPR debe ser muy completo y educativo.
    Es una pena que:
    1) El autor habla MUY RAPIDO para quien no maneja ingles a la perfeccion o lo habla por ser lengua materna.
    2) Los subtítulos SOLO ESTAN HABILITADOS en inglés; incluya incluir, mínimamente, el ESPAÑOL (habida cuenta de que éste es uno de los idiomas más hablados en el mundo), como asi también Portugues, Italiano, Francés, Alemán, etc. etc.
    Si la idea era facilitarle el uso de WSPR a TODA la comunidad de radioaficionados, una vez más el intento ha fallado.

================================================== =================================================================
    Seguramente el video sobre WSPR debe ser muy completo y educativo.
    Es una lástima que:
    1) El autor habla MUY RÁPIDO para los que no dominan perfectamente el inglés o lo hablan por ser su lengua materna.
    2) Los subtítulos SOLO ESTÁN HABILITADOS en inglés; Deben incluir, como mínimo, ESPAÑOL (dado que es uno de los idiomas más hablados en el mundo), así como portugués, italiano, francés, alemán, etc. etc.
    Si la idea era facilitar el uso de WSPR a TODA la comunidad radiofónica, una vez más el intento ha fracasado.