Wsjtx refuses to operate as designed

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Software' started by KD9DOG, Jun 16, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: l-BCInc
ad: abrind-2
ad: l-gcopper
ad: Subscribe
  1. KD9DOG

KD9DOG Ham Member QRZ Page

Here is where I am at now with WSJTX, I can transmit now and I can see my CQ on the right hand Rx window. I do not see my call in the Band Activity window even though my waterfall shows plenty of activity, I have installed and reinstalled the software, read the manual and even watched You Tube but I can find nothing to help with Band Activity.

Attached Files:

2. AA4PB

AA4PB Ham Member QRZ Page

You won't see your call in the band activity window unless someone answers your CQ. Are you seeing other activity in the band activity window? If not then your computer's clock may be too far off (more than a couple of seconds). Also make sure that your receive audio is up high enough so that the signal indicator is green. Is your transceiver's power output meter indicating power while you are transmitting?

3. KD9DOG

I am not seeing anything nothing nada, by signal indicator is that the circle with an S to the right of the freq window and if so it is Green.
    When I show that my radio is transmitting I hear a click sound and a red antenna icon in the radios VFO screen and I show no output power output? Currently I am on 3.572 and the time seems to be messed up it shows 2021 Jun 16 18:34:30 my QTH is 12:34. How do I adjust the audio is it a matter of turning up the vol on the radio or comp

4. KD2UHF

KD2UHF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

are you on the correct freq as indicated?

5. AA4PB

The green circle with the S is an indication that rig control (via CAT) is working okay. The signal indicator is the vertical bar to the lower left. You audio level should be adjusted so that background noise (with no signals being received) is 30. If it is not green then you don't have enough audio. If it's red then you have too much audio. Audio levels often have adjustments at the radio, the radio-to-computer interface, and the computer. The WSJT-x manual gives instructions on setting these levels correctly.

With your web browser, go to time.is to see how far off your computer clock is. If it's off more that about 2 seconds then you won't decode any signals, although you should still see them on the waterfall. Normally, time error should be kept under 1 second. You should normally have an NTP time service installed on the computer (with an Internet connection) in order to automatically keep you computer clock synchronized.

I believe the correct 80M FT-8 frequency is 3.573 MHz. I haven't worked 80M FT-8 so don't know how much activity is there. 20M FT-8 (14.074 MHz) is sure to be loaded with signals to copy. However, even if there are no signals to copy, your receive level should be reading 30 and green.

6. KD9DOG

The program shows 3.572.00 and the radio is showing the same, I have downloaded the NPT program also went into windows sound and checked that, I have now followed the instructions for the settings and at this time have gotten to the part Transceiver setup. I did side track to the WSPR but I got totally lost and if I have to do any programming then I am done.
    I did get a green light for the CAT and a red for PTT and that is with 4800 bps if I go any higher the CAT goes to red. I wrote down the radio settings but will have to rummage through the paper mess. I will keep trying but I have this terrible feeling the digital is not for me.
    One other thing is the amount of time it takes to send CQKD9DOGCQ which is a full minute.

7. KD2UHF

Are you trying to run WSPR? I have never tried WSPR on WSJTX but FT8 and FT4 work fine.

8. AA4PB

I think maybe you are not listening on an FT-8 frequency. Click the indicator on the edge of the band selection on WSJT-x and see what is there for 80M. Select 3.573 and both WSJT-x and the radio should move to that frequency.

9. KD9DOG

Well for what ever I did it is working just fine now and the time to send is 15 seconds but why do I show no power out? I am on FT-8 and 14.073

10. KD2UHF

on the radio it should