WSJT-X vs JTDX - which is better?

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by KQ0J, May 11, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-Geochron
  1. PA0LMA

PA0LMA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

PA7DA around the corner was working stations WSJT-X couldn't detect. When I changed to JTDX, which he was using we were seeing the same stations. Tried a while ago again WSJT-X but moved back to JTDX. Absolutely better decoding

WK0DX likes this.
  2. KQ0J

KQ0J XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Funny - after being positive on JTDX with initial use for about a year - I grew tired of the constant software updates and bugs that were interfering with my operating pleasure. I have
    since stopped using JTDX for that reason. Your mileage may vary. I thought it was too high maintenance. I will try it again someday when I have the time to fart around with it.

3. KM6TFY

KM6TFY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Have any of you tried comparing WSJTX windows decodes to Linux decodes. I was having a heck of a time as of lately (after windows update) with windows making any decodes on WSJTX. Before anyone says check your time or connections, be aware I did all of that. Nothing physically changed between test. Windows was only decoding 0-3 messages a cycle. I booted into my Ubuntu desktop and to my amazement "sarcastically" I was seeing 10-25 decodes per cycle. Only gives me that much more motivation to drop windows and go full time linux on my shack computer. Now I am only assuming this has to do with windows because a few things could have made a difference. WSJTX was not the same version on both machines, but I do not believe this was the cause. I would be curious to see if any of you have noticed anything similar.

4. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Incredible! On 20-30-40 in the evenings I get 20-40 decodes per cycle routinely. Win 7.
    Methinks you have some other problem. Maybe some simple adjustment?

5. KM6TFY

KM6TFY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Maybe. But I had no issues before update on win 10. No adjustments, update and bam. I did go check all preferred mic applications and sound card settings. I even went into wsjtx advanced and changed decode settings to see if it made a difference. I guess it could just be the operator. o_O

6. W9YW

W9YW Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

Let me add to the list to express my astonishment at how well the app decodes, compared to WSJT-X using identical configurations. The difference is staggering.

I'm a fan. Although I dislike Windows 10 vehemently, this might keep me using it. I'm going to check for ports to other operating systems.

It's really incredible. I don't say this lightly.
    73 W9YW

WK0DX likes this.
  7. KE4OZD

KE4OZD Ham Member QRZ Page

1st attempt with JTXD
    Not much traffic with WSJT-X
    Hits were coming in so fast I had to scroll back up several pages to catch contacts trying to
    get to me...they were scrolling up off the screen faster than I could read them
    In an hour and 11 mins I contacted 10 contacts in 6 countries from Mid way down Florida
    with 25Watts and an inverted L (A chameleon and an IC7100 with an LDG Z100 autotuner)
    The band was not having a gaping opening this software can just dig em out of the noise
    Tuning through 20/40 meters voice nothing to talk about there...without JTXD.

Oh and I'm running Debian Linux Buster 10 stock no mods...and the download installed
    perfectly first time....took me days and days of wacking,hacking, compiling and complaining
    to get either of the other two up and running at all....WSJT-X and JS8Call...

I think we have a new psycho viral ham toy...now if JS8CALL could just pick up on the engine
    changes in JTXD I could throw away my mic LOL.....

KE4OZD
    Danny

8. KQ0J

KQ0J XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Well I tried the latest version of JTDX and found it once again easier to use and better at decodes than WSJT-X so sticking with it for now.

9. M0MNE

M0MNE Ham Member QRZ Page

Stations decoded less than about -17dB are rarely able to hear me unless it's a situation where their antenna and power levels are way inferior to mine, which is hard to do, because my operating conditions are really bad. So a few extra decodes is probably not going to give me any benefit, unless it's better at decoding through QRM, in which case, I think I might give it a try!

There have also been a few situations where another station is almost right on top of the station I'm trying to chase and it's not decoding even though I can see it on the waterfall. JTDX promises better decoding in this situation. Can anyone say it's true?

Last edited: Jan 16, 2021
  10. M0MNE

M0MNE Ham Member QRZ Page

Why was WSJT-X failing to decode a +2dB signal? Was it due to QRM? If so, it sounds like JTDX could be a better option for me since I do get a lot of QRM on most bands, especially 6m.