ad: Radclub22-1

WSJT-X v2.0.0 by K1JT released - not compatible to earlier versions!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by DH2ID, Dec 11, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. N5AF

N5AF Ham Member QRZ Page

Perhaps a consultation between JT and the ITU-T is in order? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ITU-T_V-series_recommendations

/me walks away, laughing maniacally.. :D

2. W0EA

W0EA Ham Member QRZ Page

Design your own protocol since you seem to know so much about it

3. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm surprised how many people are allergic to peer review. It's no wonder most of AR technology is stuck in the dark ages. :(

Mention how to make/do something better, and the grumpiness descends like hail.

4. N7XCZ

N7XCZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Wow 10 pages!!! I am on the air right now my screen is full of decodes running 1.91 tomorrow I will try 2.0 and see if there is comparable difference
    It is odd to me that everyone did not upgrade to the new version, if you are using FT8 you have a computer so how could you not be informed some how over the last month
    or so of the new version release? I would assume that you like using the FT8 mode and would stay up to date on the new versions of the software. As far as changing the version I am using 1.9.1 as of this writing over to 2.0 only time will tell when my decodes get thin I guess it is time for a change Hi Hi No worries just upgrade
    I have used the new version and it's FB. It might have irked the non contest users of the hobby as it has a contest mode now, I am a contest kind of Ham and used the contest mode recently it was not as fast paced as other contest formats but that might have been me getting used to the new format but I still enjoyed the challenge.
    I am Just happy to use our slice's of the spectrum with new technology to Further my enjoyment of the Hobby and Ham life style. Work em all and let QRZ and LOTW figure it out
    All Modes All Frequencies All the Time Woo Woo 73's

Last edited: Dec 12, 2018
  5. 2E1ADT

2E1ADT Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I have gone for the new Version and as of yet I have been unable to make any contacts.

6. PA0MHS

PA0MHS Ham Member QRZ Page

What I don't understand is this: WSJT-X is software. And software is generally used to do things for us automatically. So why is V2.0 not able to automatically recognize a V1.9 station and fall back to that mode?. Being a software/hardware devloper myself, I regularly build this kind of compatiblity modes into newer software I develop which has to talk to older hardware I developed in the past.

UT7UX and MM0HVU like this.
  7. K2NCC

K2NCC Ham Member QRZ Page

You're welcome to demonstrate your prowess and make us a new mode to complain about.

WU8Y likes this.
  8. K2NCC

Maybe like how 64bit often isn't compatible with 32bit. V2 has added a couple bits!

WU8Y likes this.
  9. PA0MHS

PA0MHS Ham Member QRZ Page

This is different. It's not a program that either runs or not. This software stores audio samples in a buffer and performs a decoding process on the samples. It is a no-brainer to perform two different decoding processes on the same samples and see which process results in decoded information and which doesn't.

10. K2NCC

I figure why bother putting in two decoders, one being superseded by a newer, better alternative.
    Also, it might be asking a lot of a computer to do twice the work. For some machines, a waterfall full of signals is already intensive decoding.

I'm sure Mr Taylor has his reasons (i.e. "...enhanced in a way that is not backward compatible..."), and he's certainly not a no-brainer, perhaps just ask him?

Or, quit worrying about it and just upgrade. This backwards-comparability issue is just so minor, I don't understand people's angst.

K1AR and WU8Y like this.
  11. SE3X

SE3X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I see the same in Scandinavia. Running both versions and it seem's like upgrade speed is much slower on this side of the Atlantic ocean than in the US.

Been running hughe amounts of 1.9.1 contacts on 160, 80, 40, 20 and currently 17m today. Very little on 2.1

Hopefully the Upgrades will take speed over here soon.

12. N2NH

N2NH Ham Member QRZ Page

I have found a way to have both the older version and the newer version on the computer until the changeover progresses further. Change the directory for the newer version. In my case, I added an X at the end of the suggested directory. This means it will not overwrite the older program. While only one of them can run at a time, I have the ability to choose which I use until more Hams make the change. The older version will run from the directory only, but it's better than not having that option at all.

YMMV

13. K2NCC

Good job! Just a note, you CAN run both (or more) at the same time.

The manual has the details, but it's easy enough to demo here...

Pick one of the shortcuts you created, either 1.9x or 2.x
    single-right-click on it, select Properties
    go to the Shortcut tab, in the Target box, put at the end of the line after "wsjtx.exe" your choice of name, like this: ...\wsjtx.exe --rig-name=oldversion
    (or whatever "name" you want)

multiwsjtx002.PNG

Doing so, you can run many copies, from the same (or different) folder.
    You'll have to reconfigure the modified WJST-X, as the additional copies will appear as new installs.

I've run as many as six copies, multi-band decoding.
    (Not quite as plug-and-play as some naysayers would have you think!)

You might have issue with rig-control, particularly if you only use one COM port, but your can manually change frequencies on the additional running copies .

Attached Files:

14. K9CTB

K9CTB Ham Member QRZ Page

This certainly is a new take on "crippleware" and "subscription" software ... but is there an offline kind of reason for this? .... I don't know enough ... something like runtime libraries for 1.9 cost too much and the workaround is cheaper for the author in 2.0? I just thought of this after reading other comments. I have seen programs offered for, say, 32 bit platforms for free ... yet the same application for 64-bit costs a little cash ... because of the cost to the author for the "64-bit library - (ies)" ... that's what he says anyway - I do believe it. Wonder if that's what happened here? If it *is* just another form of subscription, well, the market will deal with it - one way or another. :) Great forum for this stuff ... teaching me a lot ... I just hate seeing us flame each other over such trite controversy as this. :)

15. K2NCC

That's a stretch. Neither 1.9x or 2.x is crippled or subscription-based.

If you prefer one over the other, use it. Or use both. Or better yet, adapt and use the most recent version. The sooner we all do, the better.

W4POT and WU8Y like this.