ad: w5yi

WSJT-X unhappy, force shutdown computer to fix

Discussion in 'OS: Mac OS' started by KI6NAZ, Mar 9, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
  1. KI6NAZ

KI6NAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi All,

More often than not my WSJT-X experience works fine. However on the occasion that my CAT connection is interrupted or my audio levels cause TX to stop I find the app seems to hang, the little status circle goes orange and I can never get it to recover try as I might. Which requires me to Force Quit WSJT-X. At that point, starting WSJT-X again just yields the icon bouncing for a while in the dock, then nothing no screen is brought up.

To recover I have to fully restart my computer by holding down the power button and in OS restart or graceful restart will not work. Has anyone experienced this? I have an event coming up where I want to use WSJT-X and FT8 but I don't want to have to restart if possible.

note: Initially I thought it was a lock file issue, however I navigated to the lock /tmp/ and didn't see anything related to WSJT-X

MacOS High Sierra 10.13.3 16gb of ram
    Rig is connected to Mac via 2 connections 1 is for CAT, a usb to 2.5mm cable, the second an 8 pin DIN from the radio to an adapter what outputs 1 2.5 cable which I have split into two 2.5 plugs into a USB sound dongle. The rig is a Xiegu X5105 which is configured as a ICOM IC-7000 in WSJT-X.

Poll interval is currently 2 secs.

All in all the config works, unless its gets unhappy which is rare, but when it does, it is only correctable by force restarting the computer. For instance, I brought up a deeper menu in the radio and cat was lost and would not recover.

Thank you!

2. KI6NAZ

It seems one of the ways that puts WSJT-X in its unhappy state is if the input volume goes up to high, then it seems it stops attempting CAT control? Anyone know why? They are seperate cables.

3. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

Your computer is getting RF in via the audio and or USB ports. Put ferrites on the cables.

Also, move the computer and rig away from the antenna.

I bet. Tell us how you do.

4. KI6NAZ

Audio via 8 port DIN to spit 2.5 mono plugs

CAT via USB serial dongle. I'll try the ferrites now

EDIT to add, the audio keeps working fine in WSJT-X actually. Its the USB that weirds out it seems

5. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

RF over USB does not work very well.

6. KB4QAA

KB4QAA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes. I had similar problems caused by the input audio level being too high. It causes processing overload which stalls the program and failure to decode most signals; only a few would be decoded during each cycle. A program shut down and restart was often required to regain control.

I found this to be a particular problem last year after one major program change. The solution required significantly lowering the audio input levels at each stage. My 'slider' settings are almost at zero but the program runs much faster and decodes all reasonable strength signals.

Turning down my input audio has solved the problems.

7. K7GQ

K7GQ Subscriber QRZ Page

Doesn't the orange indicator suggest that CAT communications are failing? I don't think this has anything to do with audio levels.

8. KI6NAZ

Yes sorta, the audio level makes the CAT control go wonky. The circle goes orange and then never recovers :(

9. KI6NAZ

When WSJT-X gets in that death spiral could you restart the app? I always have to force quit the app then restart the computer to get the WSJT-X to come back up again.

10. KB4QAA

KB4QAA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Details are getting fuzzy, I don't recall. Unlike you I am running Win10. bill