WSJT-X transmits via MAC speaker instead via FTDX3000

Discussion in 'Mac Ham Radio on macOS & iOS' started by HB9GPN, Feb 15, 2018.

ad: l-rl
ad: l-BCInc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. WX7V

WX7V XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Confirmed working on my 2018 MacBook Air- I upgraded to MacOS Big Sur, installed latest v6 CP210x drivers. I bought a high quality USB cable with built in ferrite chokes. The older cable with snap op chokes would cause my FTdx3000 to hang on TX and send audio to my Mac speakers.

Reminded - For WSJT-X I also set both input and output to USB Audio Codec and in the MIDI sound settings changed to 44.1kHz sample rate.

Works solids now on all bands 80-10m.

WX7V
    Chris

2. W5DSS

W5DSS QRZ Lifetime Member #365 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Changing the rate to 44100 did not work for me. On Big Sir 11.2.1. Any other thoughts? Tried the things above as well. Been struggling with this for about 6 months. It causes me to use wsjtx on a raspberry pi 4b instead of my mac :(

3. W2SGM

W2SGM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I’ve had RF in the shack cause this in the past. Don’t forget to try a few TX cycles with your power reduced to rule that out.

4. N6YWU

N6YWU Ham Member QRZ Page

The audio hardware on older Macs has a native sample rate of 44.1k. The newest Macs appear to use audio hardware with a native sample rate of 48k (or 96k or 192k?).

Some versions of the macOS (and iOS) audio unit resamplers appear to be buggy. So using only the native hardware sample rate, and thus not forcing the Mac to resample, may reduce audio glitches and disconnects.

So I only use 44.1k on older Macs. And only 48k on new (M1) Macs (and iOS devices).

AB6RF likes this.
  5. N6YWU

N6YWU Ham Member QRZ Page

If the disconnect only happens on some bands and not others, suspect RF-in-the-shack to be the issue. If so, try using a USB hub with the cables on both sides of the hub wound thru ferrite toroids.