ad: wmr-1

WSJT-X on TS590S setup issue

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by K3DBI, Apr 11, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-Geochron
ad: abrind-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: HRDLLC-2
  1. KD0KZE

KD0KZE Ham Member QRZ Page

I've been using WSJT-X, Debian Linux and the TS-590 (USB-to-USB) for a couple years now. Of course, the serial port, baud, bits, handshake, etc. should all match what you setup in the rig's menus.
    Relevant WSJT-X settings: PTT = cat, Transmit Audio Source = rear/data, Mode = data/pkt.

The one thing that is not so self-evident is setting up the soundcard Audio input/output devices. I think I eventually went through every single option until I had success on the device option that had both "USB" and "CODEC" in its name. This will vary depending on your particular hardware.

You're still not done, though. Through careful trial-and-error I then look for a sweet spot with WSJT-X's "Pwr" slider vs. the Pwr setting on your rig. It'll be band-dependent also. The art of finding the sweetspot should ultimately keep in mind:

1. We want to use as little power as possible (as part of our amateur radio service guidelines). My G5RV is a compromise antenna on most all bands. So when I do 80M, for example, there's a point (40 watts or so on 80M?) at which further increasing the power seems pointless due to SWR. It'll eventually reach its maximum TX power on the rig's display and there's no reason to use any more power.
    2. Keep an eye on the ALC settings when you TX. With the TS-590 you have three static "bars" as a guideline/basis. I would never transmit beyond 1-2 bars. Anything over the third bar is likely to look messy, overdriven, etc. on the waterfall. Or be wasted/excessive.

73, KD0KZE / Paul

2. K2CQW

K2CQW Ham Member QRZ Page

Is yer pass and as wide as possible. I get this at the upper end, i.e. 7.079+

3. IK6IOQ

IK6IOQ Ham Member QRZ Page

The problem is that in TS590 and in the TS590SG whenever you change the menu 68 (USB PORT BAUD RATE) you have to turn the radio off, turn off the power and turn on again, otherwise the baud rate speed is not captured by the 590 and is not paired with the software.

4. WM5TS

WM5TS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I tried the setting for the TS 570D and no luck. Anyone have any suggestions for the 570? It worked great on the older version of this software but not on the updated 1.8 version for ft8.

5. WA4BCS

WA4BCS Ham Member QRZ Page

I have the same problem with my 570. V1.7 worked great but I can not get any transmit out on JT65 or FT8. I have checked the audio etc but no luck.

6. WM5TS

WM5TS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Ben; one thing is it does look like it wants to start in that I see a small "kick" on my power/SWR meter, separate from the radio, so it is trying to do something for about a half a second then it give me the Hamlib error. Will post solution if i find one.

7. AH6GT

AH6GT Ham Member QRZ Page

IMPORTANT!!!!! WSJT-X will only work with the TS 590 if the radio is in VFO Mode. It will not work from Memory Channels.

8. WA4BCS

WA4BCS Ham Member QRZ Page

Finally got it to work. Had to change PTT Method to RTS instead of CAT.

9. N5ABI

N5ABI Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'd love to see screenshots of your WSJT-X settings.

10. AH6GT

AH6GT Ham Member QRZ Page

Ok, here you go! Let me know if you would like anything else. Remember to put your radio in VFO mode, not MEMORY mode, or WXJT-X won't work. -Konabob (AH6GT)

Attached Files: