WSJT-X on TS590S setup issue

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by K3DBI, Apr 11, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
  1. K3DBI

K3DBI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Wondering if anyone has any suggestions. I am having an issue with no modulation audio on TX when using WSJT-X on my Kenwood 590S. I have mirrored the setup of a friend's TS590SG and we can not seem to figure out why I'm not getting any audio/modulation out. I can receive and decode just fine, and when I transmit the radio will transmit, just without modulation.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. KE0EFX

KE0EFX Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't know about a Kenwood but had the same issue on my Yaesu 897 this weekend. WSJT-X documentation said to have the rig in USB but I had to change mine to DIG mode for the audio to work. Does your Kenwood have a DIG mode?

de KE0EFX, Scott

3. K3DBI

K3DBI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for the response Scott, the only setting I can find similar to that on the Kenwood is the "data" mode, it does not seem to make any difference whether it is selected or not. I just phoned Kenwood to see if they have any suggestions. The rep said he would mail me some documentation on digital modes specific to Kenwood...

Dan

4. KE0EFX

KE0EFX Ham Member QRZ Page

It was worth a try. Good luck!

Scott

5. WA4BCS

WA4BCS Ham Member QRZ Page

I am having the same problem on my TS 570. Have tried everything but no luck. The radio works fine with JT65-HF.

6. AD0FL

AD0FL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm running a 590s with wsjt-x no problems. There are some great guides at the 590 family page (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/wadei/ts-590s.htm).

Some things to check (not that I've ever done these. nope, not me ;) ) I'm assuming you get a transmit indication? Audio is setup in wsjt to use the USB audio codec. Menu 63 is set to USB. Those are the two biggies. Also check the sound output settings as the USB codec defaults to max volume and you will be splattering with the ALC working very hard.

BTW - the "DATA" front panel button only changes the band filter. It is essentially a 3rd pre-set filter option. It comes in handy for modes like RTTY when you don't want to change the other filter pre-sets.

AA5AZ likes this.
  7. WA4BCS

WA4BCS Ham Member QRZ Page

Got it to work finally!!! Instead of CAT control selected PTT-RTS, XON/XOFF, DTR-High. This was set up using the Kenwood TS 570 from the menu. Don't know if this will help with a 590. I am using a Signalink USB.

Good luck.

8. KK4EDX

KK4EDX Ham Member QRZ Page

Does TX work with any other software, like Fldigi? I have TS590SG in which case menu items to look at
    69 - Audio Input line selection for data communications (USB)
    70 - Audio source of SEND/PTT transmission for data mode (rear)
    71 - Audio level for USB input for data communications (4 default level)
    76 - Data VOX (on)

Recently I connected AEA TNC to 590SG and had similar issue where TX was keying but no modulation. Menu 69 was the issue since TNC was connected to ACC2 port.
    Does the radio initiate in WSJT config window - i.e. button turns green?

ig
    kk4edx

9. AH6GT

AH6GT Ham Member QRZ Page

I upgraded my iMac to Sierra 10.12.1 in October, and began to experience strange fluctuations in power when transmitting - both with WSJT-x and with fldigi.
    I then upgraded fldigi to 3.23.16 and it is working fine right now. Fldigi is recognizing my Silicone Labs usb port as: /dev/cu.SLAB_USBtoUART, and is playing nicely with my TS-590S.

However, when I upgraded WSJT-X to v1.4.0 r5189,
    I get the following error: Hamlib error: IO error while opening connection to rig.
    The Silicone Labs port is not recognized... completely missing!
    I am only seeing /dev/ttyUSB (0 through 3) and /dev/ttyS2 through S7. None of them work.
    I reinstalled the Silicone Labs driver, but that has made no difference to WSJT-X. Fldigi continues to work fine.

Here are my Radio Prefs
    Screen Shot 2016-11-16 at 3.47.01 PM.png
    Any ideas?
    Aloha from AH6GT

10. AH6GT

AH6GT Ham Member QRZ Page

Stop the presses.... I uninstalled and reinstalled WSJT-X and it now DOES recognize my Silicone Labs USB cable.
    These preferences are working:
    Screen Shot 2016-11-16 at 9.05.15 PM.png

HOWEVER - I am back to having wild power swings after a few seconds of transmitting. The TS-590s meter
    shows no SWR or ALC problems on either 30 or 20 meters, and yet the power is bouncing all over on my
    MFJ tuner. What the .....???

Aloha,
    AH6GT

KF7STP and KM4ODS like this.