WSJT-X on Linux Mint

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by KG7FIU, Feb 14, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: abrind-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. NG1H

NG1H XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, probably more likely that it is a religious issue. Anything to the contrary is heresy for some people.

I've been working with various *nix flavors for over 20 years. For the average end user the only time I have found it truly useful was for a locked down machine that only needed a web browser to one site, light word processing, and printing functions.

For everyone else the maintenance/training time sink for the IT staff, i.e. me, was too high compared to a MS Windows/Office setup.

KB5IAV and W9FL like this.
  2. W9FL

W9FL Ham Member QRZ Page

I think it is a streamlined system that runs better on lesser hardware. But I think it is only better for people that know what they are doing, or enjoy tinkering with software.

As far as I am concerned, I just want my computers to work, with minimal input on my part.

I think there are a lot of us who would like to smash their computers with a sledge hammer at times, out of frustration.

3. KB5IAV

KB5IAV Ham Member QRZ Page

Very interesting. Great to hear from a pro on Linux. I run it on my ham laptop and there are times I like it and other times I want to toss it out of the window.

I inherited an Asus Laptop from the XYL and used it to replace the Dell laptop I used for hamming that was lost in a flood. The Asus had been force upgraded to Windows 10 and didn't run well, which is partially why the XYL gave it to me. I tried to put Windows 7 back on but the system crashed so I decided to try Linux because I was curious about it and it was free.

I run Linux Mint 19.3 and was able to install WSJT-X from the .amd64.deb file without any issues and it runs fine. I loaded FLDIGI from the repositories and it worked fine, but it was an old version and wanted the latest, and since there was no .deb file, I had to compile it from source. I've tried doing this with other applications and they usually end up giving me errors, but that didn't happen with FLDIGI. I just followed the provided instructions and it worked fine. Installing software on Windows is much easier. Once I jumped through the hoops to get the serial to USB interface working, I was able to do CAT control on my Kenwood TS-140S just fine.

I do like using Linux but if that laptop ever dies, I will probably switch back to Windows because of the issues of compatibility, software installation, etc. Sometimes I want things to just work, and that isn't always the case with Linux.

4. VE3CGA

VE3CGA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I just finished installing linux mint 19.3 on my laptop yesterday after I messed up the drive.
    installed wsjtx from the .amd64.deb download, installed QSSTV, FLDIGI and GQRX - no problem
    Even installed wine 4.0 which was able to run my windows pcb software "DIPTRACE" and wsjtx (windows version)
    Best yet, was trying virtualbox and being able to run win95 & xp thru the linux os.
    Tried win7 but I need more ram for that.

I find lnux very stable
    this is where I got the deb file for wsjtx2.3 https://sourceforge.net/projects/wsjt/files/wsjtx-2.3.0/

5. KQ8W

KQ8W XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I use Arch Linux at my station. While not trivial to install, getting packages from source is really easy and I have found few issues.

I tossed Windows when updates went bad. System Restore wouldn't bring it back nor would any type of repair. With Linux, I can boot a USB and interact with the system easily, but that's experience talking.

@NG1H I don't see many folks with long time Linux experience. My first experience was with Slackware 2.3 in 1995. I was so excited when 3.0 came out and I've used Linux ever since, even fighting XFree86 to work on my monitor.

PU2OZT likes this.
  6. VK4JE

VK4JE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi,
    I am trying to breakfree of Windows 10,

I hope some here can put a spot light on my issue:
    I am running:
    Linux Mint 20.1 Cinnamon Version 4.8.6
    WSJT-X Version 2.3.1
    My Radio is Yaesu FT-847

My Sound Card is a USB C-Media
    MY CAT Cable is FTDI USB Serial

My issue is that when I Test CAT I get this message
    Hamlib error: IO error
    serial_open: Unable to open /dev/ttyUSB0 - Permission denied
    serial.c(237):serial_open return(-6)
    rig.c(758):rig_open return(-6) while opening connection to rig

Logged in as root, using Minicom I have adjusted the settings to match the FT-847
    Baud 9600, 8 bits, None, 2 Bits

I have checked that /dev/ttyUSB0 is present, it is READ ONLY
    I have run dmesg:
    5.295284] usb 3-1: FTDI USB Serial Device converter now attached to ttyUSB0

Everything works fine on Windows, so I know all the gear works.

Hoping someone can point to what I am doing wrong.
    Cheers
    Ron

7. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

@VK4JE
    Add your linux user to "dialout" group.

8. VA7WYA

VA7WYA QRZ Member

re win vs linux.
    I cant get my sdr to work on either after following a few different instructions.
    so Win doesnt fix every thing in my expirience

, and I think I will have to keep tinking (kind of grumpy I wanted at least the base funtion of monitoring to be a little less hassle.

good luck O P

KK4NSF likes this.
  9. VK4JE

K6CLS Thank you CAT now works.
    Cheers
    VK4JE

PU2OZT and K6CLS like this.
  10. VK4JE

WSJT-X on LinuxMint

I wonder if someone knows if it is possible to edit the WSJT-X_2.3.1_amd64.deb program some where to change the Transmit Audio Source from Front / Mike to Rear / Data.

Reason being I am using an FT-847 which has a rear Data In / Out Jack. I am using a DigiMode - 3 - Yaesu External Sound card that uses this rear jack.

The DigiMode External Sound card uses a C-Media CM108 USB Audio Chipset, as the receive side works fine I guess the correct drivers are present.

Currently I have no RF output from the rear jack, however I can obtain RF power from the Front Mic, therefore it appears to me that I need to select Rear Data in the WSJT Setup.

Hoping someone can help me out

Cheers
    Ron