WSJT-X logging?

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by W0AZZ, Jan 3, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. W0AZZ

W0AZZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I pulled my hair out setting up my Yaesu 450D to run WSJT-X on Win 10 without a dedicated USB interface but it's up and running and I'm making contacts with FT8. What I don't understand is how to log those contacts electronically. I have just set up eQSL and LOTW accounts but don't know how to get the info from WSJT-X to those. I have confirmed a few contacts on eQSL but have zero contacts in LOTW.

Some questions I have:
    1. Do I have to hit the "log QSO" in WSJT-X after every contact made or does the program do that automatically? I think WSJT-X saves these in a text file but haven't found it yet.

2. I see some people are have WSJT-X exporting their logs to HDRLOG. What's the advantage of HDRLOG?

2. KA2CZU

KA2CZU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

For me, I have N3FJP AClog, and JT Alert-X working with WSJT-X.

WSJT-X triggers JTAlert which then acts as a client to N3FJP. Works like a charm.

I think you use JTAlert with HDRLog as well.

(edit: I didn't read the blog post but ... http://www.k0pir.us/wsjt-x-jt-alert/)

KK3Q likes this.
  3. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

I use LOG4OM as my logger to create and upload the ADIF files.

WSJT,... JTAlerT,....LOG4OM, works seamlessly

4. W4PG

W4PG Super Moderator Lifetime Member 279 Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

You need a dedicated logging program. Others here have mentioned a few. I personally use HRD to log all my QSOs, including FT8. JTAlert interfaces with WSJT-X and logs to HRD. Please be aware that there has been an issue in the past with JTAlert and HRD where the author of JTAlert refused to support HRD. I do not know the latest in that spat but the version of JTALert I use (2.10.1) works just fine with HRD 6.4.0.787.

5. VA3VF

VA3VF Guest

If you click log in WSJT-X or JTDX, the QSO will be saved in ADIF format. To find the ADIF file, click File, Open log directory, in either WSJT-X or JTDX. TQSL handles this file just fine, if you want to upload it to LoTW manually. The ADIF file can also be imported into you favorite logging program manually.

A supported JTAlert logging program makes all the above more convenient. Click log once in WSJT-X or JTDX, and the QSO will be saved in WSJT-X or JTDX and in your logging program. If your log program also supports LoTW and eQSL, you can upload to them from it too.

N5AF, ND6M and KA2CZU like this.
  6. WA9ECJ

WA9ECJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I am using the linux version of WSJT-X on a Raspberry Pi 4. When a QSO is completed, a logging screen opens. Does anyone know how to access that logging program without opening WSJT-X? It may not be the greatest logging program, but I would like to keep all of my ham programs on the Pi if possible.

7. W7TCT

W7TCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Sorry, maybe not enough coffee yet today, so rather dense... but what logging program are you referring to? Were you asking how to get the adif file from when you click to save a QSO in WSJT-X?

I have an Icom 7300 and use an RPi 3b+ with WSJT-X and also use its logging when QSO is finished. But from there, when I am done playing radio, I go to /home/pi/.local/share/WSJT-X and open wsjtx_log.adi in the default text editor. I made a 'txfr.adi' file and just copy/paste my latest QSOs to it and then upload just those via QRZ Import functions. [No reason to upload my entire log every time just for a few new QSOs.] I then send to LOTW from QRZ.

Again, sorry if I misunderstood. That happens often.

8. NC7U

NC7U XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Any suggestion as to import an .adi file into wsjtx.adi that is readable?

9. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Set up in ADIFMaster and merge files. Save.
    Then copy it back into the proper directory in the WSJT-X program.

10. N3DT

N3DT Ham Member QRZ Page

I used adifmaster to import an HRD adi, that had a million fields. Was able to delete all the unnecessary ones, and resort them into the same order as wsjt-x. Only thing is it saves all the data as caps, but it still works.