WSJT-X logging anomaly

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by KP4SX, May 10, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Strange WSJT-X anomaly. See pic. Nothing odd, looks ok, here right?

But WSJT-X logged my report from KD5SM as +10. Same as what had registered with KP2BH. He was never anywhere close to +10 and I doubt I was with him.

This happens often and I think I see the trend. If a guy calls me beginning with Step #2 in the sequence he invaribly gets in my log with an incorrect rcvd report based on a previous copy on my end. If he initiates the contact with the normal Step #1 it doesn't happen.

So, sort of a rhetorical question - can anything be done to avoid this or is this just a WSJT-X glitch?

wsjtanomaly.jpg

2. KG7FIU

KG7FIU Ham Member QRZ Page

[Sounds like an unusual problem... If a casual google search does not reveal any similar occurrences, suggest you try opening a support ticket with the WSJT-X software vendor]

Last edited: May 11, 2020
  3. KP4SX

Thanks for the snark.

4. KG7FIU

Sorry, wasn't trying to be nasty. I just don't think you'll find many users on here that have encountered this particular issue...

Please realize that you're trying to track down a very specialized type of problem that is (evidently) rare. It could relate to specific software and configurations on your machine (for example, you didn't say -- but are you running Windows, Linux, Unix? If so, what versions and what other software components do you have installed, etc.?)

I really think that if you are looking for a solution, your best chance of success would be to open a case with the vendor... The vendor will need to collect some information about your configuration, walk you through different scenarios, and help you troubleshoot.

5. N3DT

N3DT Ham Member QRZ Page

I haven't noticed anything like this, and I usually keep a pretty good eye on the S/N numbers. I have seen other stuff I can't explain though, like sometimes it remembers grid squares and sometimes not. Sometimes it will remember the GS over days and other times if there's a break in the QSO, it won't. Sometimes I don't know where it finds the GS.

6. KP4SX

I noticed it a couple more times last night. Seems to happen a lot after a busted QSO. I manually log on paper plus I hit the Log button on WSJT-X when the screen pops up instead of letting it log automatically so its very apparent to me.

7. KG7FIU

I don't know if this is relevant at all, but had a thought here...

Sometimes in FT-8 I will get readings of +10, +15, etc. because I'll attempt to abort a QSO midway thru a non-productive session, and WSJT-X does not behave right. Sometimes I will then see a record that shows up with the red background color and a very high dB value. [The same red color that one gets when calling CQ -- only in this case I'm not]. In fact, it almost seems like like the software is detecting my own prior TX signal and then re-interpreting it as incoming RX -- hence the extremely high dB reading. This might be a rig control / communication issue. Just a guess. Not sure if anything like that is happening in your case...

Last edited: May 13, 2020
  8. KP4SX

Yes, I've seen that too. Doesn't seem to happen as much as it did in older versions.

9. N3DT

N3DT Ham Member QRZ Page

I've seen those self decodes too, I haven't figured out how it happens, but it's usually a strange/broken qso.

10. KG7FIU

["Self-decodes". Yes--that's a fitting description! Thanks, N3DT]