WSJT-X, Icom ic-718, Signalink - error help request

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by W7TCT, Sep 29, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. W7TCT

W7TCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I am trying to set up my 718 with a Signalink and WSJT-X on my macbook. See attached but it keeps erroring on rig control. As you can see, it is receiving just fine.

I have the right 13 pin cable plugged into the radio, the USB connected to the macbook.

Also, I am unclear on the "PWR" wire on the Signalink USB. The instructions show a wire going to pin 5 but the instructions say that is not needed on the USB. So I left it off.

I am stuck.. Advice, please? setup.jpeg

Last edited: Sep 29, 2017
  2. KJ4RZZ

KJ4RZZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Does the unit light up (green light) when plugged into USB?

One thing I found with my signalink and my mac, is that the USB port could just barely power it. Sometimes, it would not.. if I had another device plugged in (cat control cable) the signalink would not key the radio.

If you are not already using a USB hub with it's own power supply, I would suggest trying that before you do anything else. My setup will not function without a powered hub.

What are you using for rig control? The signalink won't control your rig, it's only a sound card and it will only send and receive thru the data/mic port.

You need a separate cat control cable for rig control.

KB2SMS likes this.
  3. W7TCT

yep, green light comes on. I can receive. But the rig connection fails. I am not using a powered USB hub, just directly connected to macbook port.

4. KJ4RZZ

I edited why you were replying.. what cable for rig control? See my edits in original reply

5. W7TCT

I might be confused with the Signalink 13 pin etc... My connections are the Signalink 13 pin from 718 to signalink to macbook usb with provided cables. Tigertronics provided radio to signalink usb box and then usb cable to my macbook.

I have civ/cat cables (prolific and and ftdi) but haven't used them. Do I need one of those too? They are a usb to 3.5mm audio.

Sorry, I may be super dense here.... just really confused. I was "assuming" (yes, I know what that says) that the in/out and wsjt-x control would pass through the signalink. Again, I may be really dense.

Please advise...

6. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

The rig control is done through the CI-V cable -- this lets the software set the radio frequency, etc... Signalink is only for RX / TX audio.

7. KB2SMS

KB2SMS Ham Member QRZ Page

YUP! I had that issue too. Once I plugged directly into the PC port all was good. My hub didn't allow enough power through.

8. K6GB

K6GB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yep, hook up the CI-V cable if you want rig control. Mine is too old s0 I have to go thru DX Commander.

9. KJ4RZZ

Not dense, it's just something new to you! I had the exact same confusion when I first got into digital.

You'll want to run the FTDI cable from your mac to your 718. This is your rig control. You can run without it but it's nice to be able to have rig control from the computer.

Then your signalink (as you have it connected) to your 13 pin din port and USB.

So you now have two USB cables going into your mac (actually a powered USB hub is strongly recommended here).

Thats it! Make sure your baud rate is set correctly, etc.

10. W7TCT

Did tests with FTDI and Prolific cables, with and without powered USB. No joy. Tried selecting the two usb serial ports, cu and tty with no change. See pic.

Any ideas? Any pics of your setups for comparison? Am I missing some setting somewhere that is Captain Obvious?

setup2.jpeg