WSJT-X Full-Auto mod

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by SQ9FVE, Mar 27, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. N2SUB

N2SUB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Automated CQs happen ALL THE TIME. Don't believe me? Listen to the contest this weekend. Big guns don't waste their voice calling CQ, they let the radio do the talking until someone answers the call....then the voice, phonetics and cadence change. CW is even more automated than that. Cadence changes mid-contact....<your call>.....exchange at 50wpm. LOL. Just about every radio has voice and CW recorders built in these days. Oh yeah, what about scanning the band. Every radio does that....they automatically find the signal while you'r ereading the latest HRO catalog. Take it a step further....are you cheating when you use an auto tuner? You don't have to match your antenna, the radio does it for you. My rig control program turns on my radio automatically. Heck, when I walk in to my shack, I stand in the dark and say "Alexa, open the radio room" and everything turns on.

AUTOMATION IS NOT THE PROBLEM. It's been a part of the hobby since some clever ham invented the CW keyer....maybe longer.

The problem is the UNATTENDED part. If I can set up my FT8 station, and rack up 500 QSOs while I'm at the ball park eating a hot dog.....yes, that's wrong, and as some have pointed out, not really legal. To each his own I guess, but in my opinion (whatever that's worth) unattended operation violates the spirit of the hobby. I don't just mean physically unattended, where there's nobody in the room. I mean mentally unattended, where the "operator" is in the station, at his operating position, but instead of tending to WSJT-X, he's actually streaming YouTube videos of his favorite band. We've all seen that guy, calling CQ on top of your QSO in progress. Little did you know he was actually watching Jethro Tull on another monitor. He didn't mean any harm, right? That is somehow perfectly legal. But again, is that in the spirit of the hobby? Is that advancing the radio art? Is that why we became ham radio operators? I think not.

I say again....AUTOMATION is not the problem. It's the lack of presence, both physically and mentally. If we must build the technology into the program because it is "useful", then I guess the QSO has taken on a new meaning.

If this falls into the RANT category, I'd suggest it's possible that you just don't want to hear the truth. But I could be wrong. Sorry for the long post....you might want to minimize your browser window now and see how many stations you've worked. ;) I wish you all the best.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2019
    KM6KJI, K2NCC, W4CDO and 2 others like this.
  2. KD2NOM

KD2NOM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The auto cq feature is useful and something I was hoping would be added in future versions on the main branch.

3. KD2NOM

KD2NOM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I agree. I don't see these additional features as un-attended operation - at least not for me - they are automation for mundane tasks that I am doing.

And by the by - I am testing the software and it does not just run unattended and make 100's of QSO's - you have to run the software and correct for situations - like calling a station that has stopped CQ-ing, changing frequency for calling CQ when dealing with QRM, etc.

N2SUB likes this.
  4. AA6YQ

AA6YQ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

1. This application is an automated QRM generator that focuses on FT8 sub-bands. If you value FT8, avoid this application like the plague, and spread the word for others to do so.

2. Per 97.221, the use of this application is only legal for US operators on these frequencies:

• 6 m and above
    • 28.120–28.189 MHz
    • 24.925–24.930 MHz,
    • 21.090–21.100 MHz
    • 18.105–18.110 MHz
    • 14.0950–14.0995 MHz
    • 14.1005–14.112 MHz
    • 10.140–10.150 MHz
    • 7.100–7.105 MHz,
    • 3.585–3.600 MHz
    Operation on other HF frequencies is precluded by 97.221(c) because the station is not guaranteed to only respond to interrogation by a station under local or remote control.

K4AGO and N2ADV like this.
  5. SQ9FVE

SQ9FVE Ham Member QRZ Page

There was a suggestion made by another SP ham to build in a feature of a virus like protocol - send out a message, each station that would receive it would increment an id, and send it furthter. Then we could sit and watch it spread on a map ;)
    Say what you want, but I personally would love to see that ;))

6. W4PG

W4PG Super Moderator Lifetime Member 279 Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

This is true while operating in UNATTENDED mode, correct?

7. SQ9FVE

Fully agreed om!

8. N2SUB

N2SUB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Awesome! That IS the spirit of the hobby. :)

KD2NOM likes this.
  9. SQ9FVE

Just out of curiosity, what if I disable TX watchdog, disable 'call 1st', turn up the power and let it just call CQ indefinitely while I go for a walk? Wouldn't that be essentially the same? I can abuse the software without having any automation features built in if I want, right? Or am I missing something here? It's up to the operator to control their station, no software will do it for us.

KG5GCC, WU8Y, ND6M and 1 other person like this.
  10. N0TTL

N0TTL Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I guess congratulations are in order then to SQ9FVE.

While everyone seems to agree the automation isn't bad, but UNATTENDED operation is...

We now how a great social experiment modification for WSJT-X that we can all observe in the wild what each individual comes up with, to enable it and go to a movie or sit there and enjoy the hobby.

K4AGO likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.