WSJT-X Full-Auto mod

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by SQ9FVE, Mar 27, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. N2ADV

N2ADV Ham Member QRZ Page

Bob, with all due respect, you know as well as I do that the path of least resistance is the one many people will take. That includes people setting up their computer and radio, enabling this thing, and going to bed and then waking up the next morning to see how many stations they “worked.” It’s already being done on a one-off basis and one op was actually blacklisted in the WSJTX code at one point for that reason.

Also, people who have some kind of physical disability should not have to accept a “different” category of award just because there are others out there automating their stations.

K4AGO and K4WRX like this.
  2. N0TTL

N0TTL Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

To the spirit of ham radio itself. This should not be a series of machines talking to each other, that's not what I thought this was about when I got my license. I wanted to connect with people around the world, not someone's unattended computer. I have the Internet for that.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2019
    K4AGO, WG7X and K4WRX like this.
  3. W4PG

W4PG Super Moderator Lifetime Member 279 Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

All good points.

You do know for many contests, there is a separate category for "assisted," right? Those using the DX cluster or other means to spot contacts must go in that category. Maybe for FT8 we'll have an "automated" category to distinguish those from others.

..............Bob

4. W4PG

W4PG Super Moderator Lifetime Member 279 Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

The fact someone is using FT8 in the automated fashion in no way prevents you from doing precisely what you want. In fact, you never have to work the mode ever. I understand what you are saying I just don't put much stock in that argument as no one is holding a gun to your head and MAKING you work ONLY FT8. You can work a ton of other modes to connect with folks in most any fashion you want.

..............Bob

WU8Y and KK5JY like this.
  5. W4PG

By the way, I didn't realize WSJT-X was open source. Or am I missing something?

...............Bob

6. N0TTL

I guess it'll be nice to watch on GridTracker then, like watching the computer fight itself in 'WarGames'. And the final answer will be 'not to play'. :)

7. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Yes - has been since the beginning actually.

Dave
    W7UUU

KK5JY likes this.
  8. N0TTL

Yes WSJT-X and all it's tools are open source. It's how we have JTDX and JS8Call

W7UUU likes this.
  9. N2ADV

Yes and no. These days, pretty much all other digital activity has died in favor of FT8. If I want to chase a rare DX station and I’m only able to do so remotely between meetings in a place where I can’t use CW or Phone (a lot of people do that) or if someone lives in an HOA and the weak signal modes are their best bet to get a rare DX or a wanted grid or state, with maybe the exception of RTTY, FT8 is pretty much the only game in town. I don’t see any rare DX firing up Olivia these days, for example.

K4WRX likes this.
  10. N2ADV

The only qualifier I’ll add is that the GNU GPL has specific requirements when using the source code.

W7UUU likes this.