WSJT-X Full-Auto mod

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by SQ9FVE, Mar 27, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. AA6YQ

AA6YQ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

If everyone deploys and enables this, the FT8 sub-bands will be completely consumed until all FT8 stations have worked each other.

Is this desirable?

K4AGO and N2ADV like this.
  2. N2ADV

N2ADV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You can take your “it’s crucial to not rant” and sit on it.

I’ll tell you the same thing I said when you tried to blast this all over Facebook: Crap like this is why FT8 will probably end up being disqualified from award credits.

People already have enough hate for FT8 as it is because they think it is automated enough. Nice work giving them more ammunition to use in their pursuits to prevent FT8 from being accepted for award purposes. Enough people already have the opinion that there is no skill required to work FT8 and this only adds fuel to that fire.

I know people with physical disabilities who can only use digital modes for pursuing awards and nonsense like this is only going to hurt them.

Don’t give me that “it’s for people who can’t click on stations fast enough” or “experiment” garbage. If you’re calling CQ, WSJTX will already automatically answer already and move to the next exchange.

Joe Taylor and team have already stated that they NEVER want to see FT8 used as an “automatic QSO machine.”

If I had my way, people who automate their operation 100% would be blacklisted from using any of the software packages containing FT8.

You also left a part out: Why don’t you tell people about the eBay listing charging $25 for this while you’re at it.

K4AGO, WU8Y, K4WRX and 2 others like this.
  3. N2ADV

N2ADV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Oh good, you’re ANOTHER lid promoting illegal operation. Swell. Yes, that makes me feel OH so embarrassed.

Sorry? Yeah, not gonna happen.

4. N0TTL

N0TTL Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Stop with personal attacks man, you're not helping your cause. Just remove the Auto features, pretty simple.

N2ADV likes this.
  5. W4PG

W4PG Super Moderator Lifetime Member 279 Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

It's not necessarily illegal unless one leaves the shack and is not attending the radio. Just for fun I set up an automated FT8 station just more or less to see if I could do it. There are several software packages that will easily automate the keystrokes necessary. I only ran it while I was in attendance, but found it interesting while I surfed the web with another computer and watched the rig make contacts at the same time.

I'm not advocating the automation but one answer may ultimately to make awards with FT8 mode somehow "different" than other modes to recognize the difference. BUT, keep in mind we've had similar issues come up over the years. There was a time when we didn't have a DX Cluster and you had to tune around to find the DX. Folks who worked DX that way complain about the cluster and the fact one can now get a text message when a needed station comes on. Is that "fair?"

...............Bob

WU8Y likes this.
  6. K3RLD

K3RLD Ham Member QRZ Page

The future is NOW!

7. N0TTL

N0TTL Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You mean is it fair that it's not an automatic reply but an observed notification using commercial text messaging service to convey the information? Yes, it's fair.

Automatic reply by your computer would NOT be fair.

You *may* be one who experiments with this while in the shack, but others most certainly wont. CO8LY recently slowed down or stopped his Auto-bot and thank god, now we'll have a whole new wave.

8. W4PG

W4PG Super Moderator Lifetime Member 279 Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I know many who feel obtaining Honor Roll BEFORE the advent of the DX Cluster was a much more difficult challenge and meant a lot more. They complain that folks now have new technology they didn't have, which makes the ultimate goal of Honor Roll much easier. Whether it has as much meaning compared to the "old" days is a matter of opinion.

Just curious why you say that. Not "fair" in regards to what? Awards? DXCC??

..................Bob

WU8Y likes this.
  9. SQ9FVE

SQ9FVE Ham Member QRZ Page

'Call 1st' ootb option doesnt even let you select the station...

As W4PG said, if you're attending to you station, the only thing missing is the 'enable tx' click. You still have to manage and control filters / power / swr / alc and many other parameters of your station.
    Again, I've built the automation features just to see if it can be done, what I really like, is the dB filter and ignore prefixes features. Try those and let me know if you like them, instead of behaving like an a**hole ;)

G0LJU and WU8Y like this.
  10. W4PG

Please do not engage in personal attacks. This issue is controversial but let's be gentlemen in our discussions.

NB3R, NY4Q and KK5JY like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.