WSJT-X Full-Auto mod

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by SQ9FVE, Mar 27, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. SQ9FVE

SQ9FVE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi All,
    I've played a bit with wsjt-x code, to add some features that I though could be useful. Added (an additional ;) ) bit of automation to it, as well as some filtering features. You can find list of those features below.

Disclaimer: Note that the automation features are experimental only, and you should always control your gear when it operates. I can see it being useful for hams who struggle to identify a station and double-click it quickly enough to secure a QSO.

If not crucial, please refrain from rants on the digital modes, ft8, the purpose of automated QSOs (and whether these should even be called QSOs ;P ), or this additional automation I've built into it. This is a fun side project, and experiment if you will, and you are free to (not) use it ;)

1. Release Date: 26.03.2019
    2. WSJT-X version: 2.0.1
    3. Full-Auto mod version: 0.3
    4. Changes:
      A)
      New Only
      With this on, your Band Activity list on the left will only show stations that you haven't worked before (on any band)
      B) Min dB filter
      This will let you filter out weak stations from your Band Activity list on the left
      C) Auto CQ
      With this feature on, WSJT-X will call CQ, automatically log a QSO and return to calling CQ.
      In this mode TX Watchdog only applies to QSO, not to CQ. Please keep TX Watchdog timer low to make sure you don't keep calling the same station for long if they fail to respond.
      D) Auto Call
      With this feature on, WSJT-X will automatically call the last decoded station that called CQ, automatically log QSO once done, and go back to calling new stations.
      E) Ignore prefixes
      This allows you to exclude certain stations from appearing in the Band Activity list, and is a band-specific list. The default modifier there is "*", which means that "R" will match RU6..., RA6... and RN6... etc. It's useful if you don't want to see the local stations on your Band Activity list, making it easier and nicer to work with.
      This list is saved in IGNORE.TXT located by default in C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\WSJT-X
    5. Notes:
      Please make sure the Settings->General->Behavior->Double-click on call sets Tx enable is check.
      I've made these changes with FT8 in mind, and that's where all my testing was. This may or may not work with other modes.
    6. Screenshot:
      [​IMG]
    7. Download:
      [Link deleted by Moderator ]

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2019
    KB2HSH likes this.
  2. SQ9FVE

For some reason the screenshot didn't appear, and I'm not allowed to edit the post ;)
    Here's the screenshot url: [Deleted by Moderator]

3. SQ9FVE

Got v.0.4 out today: [Link deleted by Moderator ]
    - Added checkbox to the ignore prefixes section so that we can easily turn this off
    - Halt Tx and TX Watchdog will clear TX1 -> TX5

4. SQ9FVE

Forgot to include the patch file: [Link deleted by Moderator ]

5. N0TTL

N0TTL Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

This is what everyone was hoping was never created. Seriously? Auto CQ? You obviously know people will abuse it. Turn it on and walk away. Great job man!

K4AGO likes this.
  6. K1SZO

K1SZO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Should we rename it Beacon QSL? :)

I kid!

7. N2XK

N2XK Ham Member QRZ Page

This is illegal in the US by FCC rules.
    Also the code you used is open code but protected by GPL. I hope you have complied by this.

K4AGO, K4RKY and K3XR like this.
  8. N0TTL

N0TTL Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

That is not even remotely similar in concept and you know it, you've made it automatically respond to CQs and Initiate QSOs without an operator present.

I don't have to say this but you're a licensed amateur radio operator and know better!

K4AGO and K4RKY like this.
  9. SQ9FVE

Yep, I'm actually trying to get some of these changes merged into the core code.
    It's a shame you guys didn't install and review any of them though. Some of them are really useful, setting the whole automation experiment aside.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2019
  10. SQ9FVE

Google wsjtx robot... This has been done in many other ways. The lego one was obviously a joke, although it would achieve the same results potentially.