WSJT-X Crashing during Tx

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by KC4JXH, Nov 20, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. G8FXC

G8FXC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The best solution is the one which MicroHam implement - all traffic on their USB cable is check-summed and the drivers in each direction implement acknowledgements and retransmissions where necessary. The drivers then convert the traffic into Windows format audio streams and virtual COM ports. The result is that they can withstand very high levels of RF and other interference - it just slows down...

Martin (G8FXC)

2. N6YWU

N6YWU Ham Member QRZ Page

Even better for high RFI environments would be to use a network connectable radio with a pair of multi-mode fiber media converters plus a fiber optic cable in between. This allows 100% completely electrically isolating the computer from the transceiver. And a fiber optic network connection doesn't slow down noticeably, even over fairly long distances.

Yet another method to create an electrical "air-gap" is to bolt a Raspberry Pi in a metal case directly to the rig's chassis, and then tunnel over WiFi from your PC to the Pi+rig.

VE2GCE likes this.
  3. KC4JXH

KC4JXH Ham Member QRZ Page

Installed that choke I had yesterday and haven't had anymore issues. We will see in the coming days if It's working or I am just having a good run right now. Thanks for the advice.

4. G8FXC

You may find that you need more than a single choke to solve it completely, but you will get it under control with enough RF decoupling...

Martin (G8FXC)

5. KD0KZE

KD0KZE Ham Member QRZ Page

I had similar issues with my TS-590, and I bought this cable. Also added torroids to other cables, and re-soldered and crimped all of my connectors in the shack (and outdoors). New RF isolator also. The problem disappeared completely. I think that Tripp-Lite cable helped a lot by itself. But you don't want to just treat the symptoms (probable RFI traveling down the rig or antenna coax to the PC), but the causes also. Worthwhile to check all of your connections and make sure your SWR is reasonable.

73, KD0KZE / Paul

6. WA9FZB

WA9FZB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I think I have that same T-shirt. I know I have the TrippLite USB cable and some really tight connections. . .

Ain't no room for stray RF in my shack.

KD0KZE likes this.
  7. VE2GCE

VE2GCE Ham Member QRZ Page

I have replaced my wired keyboard and mouse with wireless units.
    We will see if this makes a difference.

8. KL7DE

KL7DE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

That's what worked for me when I had similar problems.

9. G8FXC

A wireless mouse and keyboard was part of the solution for me, but I had to go for bluetooth. There are a variety of non-bluetooth mice and keyboards around - they tend to be cheaper, but in my experience they are usually less tolerant of RF than a true bluetooth device.

Martin (G8FXC)

10. G8FXC

Certainly don't ignore antenna issues... In an ideal world, all the RF you push into the feeder would go straight to the antenna and 100% of it would be radiated at the optimum angle to get to the far side of the world. RF getting back into the shack and disrupting your radio is RF that is not getting out to get you the next DXCC... Pay attention to SWR, pay attention to grounding and, if possible, go for a balanced antenna with either balanced feeder or decent quality coax into a good Balun close to the antenna...

Martin (G8FXC)