WSJT-X and setting Windows 10 clock seconds

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by W4LKR, Dec 18, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

time.nist.gov should work for your system clock. Sync normally happens every 24 hours, But you can change the setting, If your computer does not keep good time.

Or click Sync Now in the Windows clock popup.

Make sure that your time zone is correct.

Have Fun.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2017
  2. VA3VF

VA3VF Guest

The recommendation refers to the disabling of the built-in Windows NTP client/service, not the clocking.

Another suggestion is to check the time with the newly installed NTP client every 60 minutes, if operating FT8.

It really depends on how much time your computer is losing. My 7 year old computer was losing more than 10 seconds overnight when it was off.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2017
  3. VA3VF

VA3VF Guest

As long as the time is the one you want to use, local or UTC, it does not make any difference for FT8. Make sure Windows is set to the right time zone, the NTP server uses UTC.

4. VA3VF

VA3VF Guest

Use time.is to check you computer time against a server.

KA9JLM likes this.
  5. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

By no means well versed in computers use a laptop for digital modes and found when I was having "time" problems they seem to have been largely corrected by replacing the CMOS BIOS backup battery which I think controls the real time clock others may be more expert in this area and could offer a more detailed explanation. This in addition to using one of the programs like Dimension 4 or the USB GPS receiver that lately I have been using.

6. VA3VF

VA3VF Guest

Correct. That's what I was going to do to my 7 year old desktop. But other parts of it were failing, so a new desktop was purchased.

K3XR likes this.
  7. W4LKR

W4LKR Ham Member QRZ Page

Well that was almost too easy. I downloaded and started NetTime and literally saw the time shown in my system tray jump backward two minutes. The seconds in Windows time and the UTC website I check are in-sync within a fraction of a second.

Thanks everyone for your help. On to my next point of confusion....

I had read that it must be within 1 second of UTC. I figured this was crucial for WSJT-X to sync up all of the responses, but maybe not. What about logging though? With other modes I always log UTC so LOTW will grant credit. Is this a non-issue with FT8 for some reason?

8. VA3VF

VA3VF Guest

I meant to say that WSJT-X does not care about time zones for decoding, but it does care about time accuracy. FT8 will decode up to a 2.5 seconds difference between the two stations in QSO. So if you are right on time, the other station can be off up to +/-2.5 seconds. If you are 1.5 seconds behind the correct time, the other station can be up to 1 second ahead of correct time, and decoding will still likely occur.

WSJT-X will log in UTC.

9. N2GXJ

N2GXJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I know this is an older post, but for anyone who finds this, I've found there is a way to fool Windows 10 into sync to the second, without having to use any other time sync program.
    As the original post said, you can only set to the minute. So how do you do this?
    The trick is to manually set the minute way off of the true time, then re-enable the "set time automatically".
    Here are more detailed steps:
    Settings->"Adjust date and time" menu.
    - turn "set time automatically" to off.
    - then "change date and time"->Change. Set the minute here to at least 5 minutes before or after the current real time, while the set time automatically has been turned off
    - then wait 10-15 seconds
    - then return "set time automatically" to on.
    You should see the hours:minutes:seconds time in WSJT-X screen jump to the correct time, including whatever jump is needed in the seconds.
    When I do this, I see the next full decode from FT-8 will show times for the stations being received being within 0.0 - 0.1 seconds.
    Enjoy!
    de N2GXJ

10. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

But this routine would have to be done daily, or at least the time would need to be checked daily to be sure.

Why is that? Because it's reported that the Windows Time Sync only checks with the NTP server once a week. As I mentioned back in Dec 2017, one of my PCs would lose 10 seconds overnight if powered down.

It's still easier and more convenient to simply install Dimension 4, NetTime, or Meinberg. They are usually set and forget.

N5CSU and ND6M like this.