WSJT-X and setting Windows 10 clock seconds

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by W4LKR, Dec 18, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. W4LKR

W4LKR Ham Member QRZ Page

The WSJT-X user guide says my PC clock must be within 1 second of UTC. I can set the time in Windows 10 to the minute, but strangely there isn't an input for seconds. No matter what I do, the new time I set doesn't ever reset to 00 seconds.

How are you guys syncing Windows 10 time to the second?

2. KD2NOM

KD2NOM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

3. VA3VF

VA3VF Guest

KP4SX, K7JEM and KA2CZU like this.
  4. KJ3N

KJ3N Ham Member QRZ Page

5. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Do search for a USB GPS receiver here is one on Ebay at the moment used under $20.00 use one in the shack and also camping as it does not need an internet connection there are a few free programs available just search for GPS time.
    Globalsat BU353 SiRF Star 4 USB GPS Receiver Navigation for PC

6. N9RMA

N9RMA Ham Member QRZ Page

If you download any NTP sites; be sure and disable the internal windows clock... I have win 10 and it is not accurate enough for digi modes... They kept bumping noses and nothing was working right.. Now all is OK... Bob N9RMA

7. VA3VF

VA3VF Guest

And if $20 is too much, there is an alternative at $8. It's based on the u-Blox chip, and works with BktTimeSync, which is another NTP software, but also supports GPS.

http://www.maniaradio.it/en/bkttimesync.html

If no GPS, use Dimension 4 only. If GPS is also used, while away from the internet for example, use BktTimeSync for both.

8. VA3VF

VA3VF Guest

Very good point!

K3XR likes this.
  9. W4LKR

Thanks for the quick answers. I'm going to try one of the SNTP options first.

With programs like Dimension 4 and NetTime, is UTC the default or must I select UTC from a list of options after it's installed and running?

10. W4LKR

Pardon my ignorance, I'm a little confused on this point. As I read about NetTime, I got the impression that it kept the internal clock in-syn with the time server. In other words, it sounded like the internal clock is still running and is in fact what gets referenced by WSJT-X and my logging program. If I disable it, how does the synced time from NetTime become visible to WSJT-X?